Exhaust questions for 08 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking of redoing my exhaust... again... someday and I'm looking for opinions.

Primarily the reason I'm wanting to take the truck back into the exhaust shop again is because I'm afraid I'll probably need to have the dual tailpipes re-made because I want to find some new stainless exhaust tips - the current tips are just your typical, run of the mill, "muffler shop special" chrome weld-on tips that don't take long to get covered in rust, that look like the similar ones pictured below...f5db4f4f7c5a6b66d25dd5662766829b.jpg

...that are bolt on that will hopefully look better for a whole lot longer, so that they can be replaced if they don't or so that they can be reused again without having to cut them off and requiring a welder to put them back on. Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, since I'd be having new tail pipes made, I'm thinking of possibly getting a single-inlet, dual-outlet Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler put on to replace the Thrush muffler that's on there now. As far as I know, the stock exhaust size is 3 inch but Cherry Bomb only has the SI/DO with a 3 inch inlet in only 2.5 inch outlets.

Well, when I took the truck in last time to get its first cat-back duals straight out the back, the muffler-shop dude said that he would have too hard of a time getting enough clearance for 2.5 inch tails like I wanted and pretty much told me there was no other way to do that size and said I'd have to settle for either 2 inch or 2.25...

Are any of y'all sporting a cat-back exhaust with 2.5 inch tails? If so, do ya have any pics I could use to show this guy that it is possible?....lol.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Superior off road is a shop by me and they have real nice tips (kinda costly but nice.) I had one on my 04 for about 2 years and looked brand new the day I sold the truck... worth giving there website a glance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O and if superior auto body pops up and it gets confusing lol they are a split, half shop is a body shop, the other half is a custom truck shop called superior off road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link? I went to their website and typed exhaust into the search bar but no tips came up...

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, ok so like i said its been quite a few years since i used them lol. apparently they are specializing in toyota only now by the looks of the website and yeah i couldnt find any tips. thats so weird they used to be all about ram and ford. ill give em a call when they open and ask em if they got there tips somewhere on the site

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gibson also makes nice tips that are a high polished 304 SS and also have a built in clamp for a easy on/off and clean look. never used these but lots of people do. as for pics my set up wont help ya as i hate the look of tail pipes and i love "drone" lol so my exhaust is dumped directly under the front pas seat.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gibson also makes nice tips that are a high polished 304 SS and also have a built in clamp for a easy on/off and clean look.

Yeah, I noticed they have some beautiful tips but, they kinda say Gibson on them too. Lol. Nothing against Gibson, just thought it'll be a little disrespecting to the rumble-box CB under the bed...lol.

Guess I could mess with people and lead them to believe that the sound they were hearing was from a Gibson muffler...[emoji41]

never used these but lots of people do. as for pics my set up wont help ya as i hate the look of tail pipes and i love "drone" lol so my exhaust is dumped directly under the front pas seat.

Other than liking the look of shiny pipes...
702b561443349b89e25a57c7c44077e1.jpg
(The stacks when they were freshly put on my work truck...)

I wouldn't mind dumping the exhaust like, right behind the rear axle or so but, even though I like loud, I don't like it all the time and I just couldn't stand that drone I had in an older 4-door Dakota that the ex-wife kept. The Cherry Bomb Extreme I put on it sure made that little 4.7 sound like a mean little monster but man, when those rpm's got to certain point, it was like having a little ant in my ear canal beatin' the **** outta my eardrum with a tiny hammer...lol. It was almost kinda painful. lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2.5" true dual the whole way back to the tips so idk why you couldn't have 2.5" inch out of the muffler?

I still haven't yet gotten around to measuring my tails to see exactly what he put on because I've been mowing but as I said, the muffler shop guy said that 2.5 inch was too big for fitment clearances after the axle, I dunno.

He also said whatever he used, which was either 2.25 or 2 inch, would be plenty big anyways because he said after the muffler, it was the equivalent as having a single, 4 inch or 4.5 inch pipe out the back with those, times two... He said two 2.5 inch tails would equal one 5 inch pipe....[emoji848]

I dunno, I've never heard that, have y'all?

It might've been just him deflecting because if I remember right, he didn't have any 2.5 inch pipe the last time I was there so, I'm planning on giving him a call when I figure out which stainless tips I'm gonna go with so that he can order his pipe ahead'a time so he'll have it when I go in to get the work done...[emoji41]

One thing left to say tho, it's awful strange tho that the Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler I choose to buy comes in either a 3 inch inlet, 2, 2.5 outlets or a 2.5 inch inlet with either 2, 2.25 outlets or 2 inch outlets. Bottom line tho, I think my stock exhaust size is three inch and even the Thrush muffler he put on was, I believe a 3 inch in, 2.5 out, times two. It's interesting that both mufflers, different manufacturers made their 3 inch mufflers with 2.5 inch outlets. Wonder why that is??...lol.

He did kind of a ****** job welding those smaller pipes into the 2.5 inch outlets, as you can imagine.

I was just curious if he was just A, either being lazy or B, not knowing what the hell he's talking about.lol.

Last edited:

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I still haven't yet gotten around to measuring my tails to see exactly what he put on because I've been mowing but as I said, the muffler shop guy said that 2.5 inch was too big for fitment clearances after the axle, I dunno.

He also said whatever he used, which was either 2.25 or 2 inch, would be plenty big anyways because he said after the muffler, it was the equivalent as having a single, 4 inch or 4.5 inch pipe out the back with those, times two... He said two 2.5 inch tails would equal one 5 inch pipe....[emoji848]

I dunno, I've never heard that, have y'all?

It might've been just him deflecting because if I remember right, he didn't have any 2.5 inch pipe the last time I was there so, I'm planning on giving him a call when I figure out which stainless tips I'm gonna go with so that he can order his pipe ahead'a time so he'll have it when I go in to get the work done...[emoji41]

One thing left to say tho, it's awful strange tho that the Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler I choose to buy comes in either a 3 inch inlet, 2, 2.5 outlets or a 2.5 inch inlet with either 2, 2.25 outlets or 2 inch outlets. Bottom line tho, I think my stock exhaust size is three inch and even the Thrush muffler he put on was, I believe a 3 inch in, 2.5 out, times two. It's interesting that both mufflers, different manufacturers made their 3 inch mufflers with 2.5 inch outlets. Wonder why that is??...lol.

He did kind of a ****** job welding those smaller pipes into the 2.5 inch outlets, as you can imagine.

I was just curious if he was just A, either being lazy or B, not knowing what the hell he's talking about.lol.

Yea I think he was just being lazy or out of the 2.5" like you said because I was at the shop when the guy was doing my exhaust and he had no problem getting the 2.5" bent for both sides and I have the 45 degree out the rear of each tire. My spare tire is still even hanging back there. I have the 2.5" in 2.5" out cherry bomb extreme mufflers on so yea that is coincidental that they offer those in 2.5" outlets lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I think he was just being lazy or out of the 2.5" like you said because I was at the shop when the guy was doing my exhaust and he had no problem getting the 2.5" bent for both sides and I have the 45 degree out the rear of each tire. My spare tire is still even hanging back there. I have the 2.5" in 2.5" out cherry bomb extreme mufflers on so yea that is coincidental that they offer those in 2.5" outlets lol

Do you have any pictures of your exhaust from the rear axle back so I can show this guy when the time comes? I think the area that he said he'd have issues with was between the driverside shock absorber and the spare but, I'm not sure...lol. It might'a been just clearance around the spare in general... I just know I let the guy convince me to use 2 inch, or 2 and a quarter tailpipes and I never have been thrilled about it.

I'd like to go with true duals though but over the years listening to horror stories, I never really heard anything good about them.

Do you have an H or an X pipe between it? Did it help or most importantly, not make power, performance, and fuel economy worse?

I'm perfectly fine with a cat-back dual setup but I wish a few more people would chime in with pics...

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you have any pictures of your exhaust from the rear axle back so I can show this guy when the time comes? I think the area that he said he'd have issues with was between the driverside shock absorber and the spare but, I'm not sure...lol. It might'a been just clearance around the spare in general... I just know I let the guy convince me to use 2 inch, or 2 and a quarter tailpipes and I never have been thrilled about it.

I'd like to go with true duals though but over the years listening to horror stories, I never really heard anything good about them.

Do you have an H or an X pipe between it? Did it help or most importantly, not make power, performance, and fuel economy worse?

I'm perfectly fine with a cat-back dual setup but I wish a few more people would chime in with pics...

I did it without the x pipe at first and it was stupid loud and I had a loss of low end power. It also made a fluttering sound from the exhaust not being balanced so the next week I had the x pipe installed. Made it noticeably quieter, but not too quiet, still sounds mean as hell and I gained my power back and maybe a lil more. I have a hemifever tune so that probably helped get the right set up with the exhaust.
IMG_3356.JPGIMG_3355.JPG

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did it without the x pipe at first and it was stupid loud and I had a loss of low end power. It also made a fluttering sound from the exhaust not being balanced so the next week I had the x pipe installed. Made it noticeably quieter, but not too quiet, still sounds mean as hell and I gained my power back and maybe a lil more. I have a hemifever tune so that probably helped get the right set up with the exhaust.
View attachment 90527View attachment 90528

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll have to get some of mine to compare to.

I know this is off topic but, what brand are your rear shocks and, they're not mounted upside down, are they? I changed all mine last year to the Rancho RS 5000's and the instructions said to put the rears on with the piston up top... I would've liked to put them on like yours with the piston on the bottom only because I didn't fool with them rubber boots that came with the shocks. For one I don't like them and two, I read that they like to trap moisture in them but, not having them at all lets dirt accumulate up on the top up there where the seal is....

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll have to get some of mine to compare to.

I know this is off topic but, what brand are your rear shocks and, they're not mounted upside down, are they? I changed all mine last year to the Rancho RS 5000's and the instructions said to put the rears on with the piston up top... I would've liked to put them on like yours with the piston on the bottom only because I didn't fool with them rubber boots that came with the shocks. For one I don't like them and two, I read that they like to trap moisture in them but, not having them at all lets dirt accumulate up on the top up there where the seal is....

They're the bilstein 5100's I got to match my 5100 struts up front.. I just mounted them how my factory shocks were mounted so I wouldn't think they're upside down? Lol not sure tho, they ride great either way haha

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're the bilstein 5100's I got to match my 5100 struts up front.. I just mounted them how my factory shocks were mounted so I wouldn't think they're upside down? Lol not sure tho, they ride great either way haha

After doing a little bit of google searching, it looks like your Bilsteins can be either way but the general consensus I found says tube down on my Ranchos.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After doing a little bit of google searching, it looks like your Bilsteins can be either way but the general consensus I found says tube down on my Ranchos.

Yea I was pretty sure I mounted them the way they were factory. But positioned either way you'd think they'd still compress the same and ride the same? Maybe I'm wrong tho.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I was pretty sure I mounted them the way they were factory. But positioned either way you'd think they'd still compress the same and ride the same? Maybe I'm wrong tho.

I'm not sure other than what I read, something about the valving in those Bilsteins that allows inverted mounting that the Rancho's don't.

I would say as long as your ride quality isn't affected, you're probly alright but apparently turning those Rancho's upside down yields some pretty ****** results. lol.

Last edited:

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The area of a circle (pipe) is calculated as pi (3.1417) X radius squared.

A 2" pipe has an area of 3.1417 X 1 squared = 3.1417 sq inches.
A 2.5" pipe has an area of 3.1417 X 1.25 squared = 4.91 sq inches.
A 4" pipe has an area of 3.1417 X 2 squared = 12.566 sq inches.
A 5" pipe has an area of 3.1417 X 2.5 squared = 19.635 sq inches.

These calculations are only concerned with the area of the pipes, they will show that the flow of 2 2" pipes is significantly less than one 4" pipe. This has nothing to do with the dynamics of an exhaust system, back pressure etc. It only shows the flow capability of the pipe.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, Mike, for posting that as that's kinda what I figured...lol. I'm no mathematician or certainly a wizard at that kind of arithmetic, mathematics, geometry, square-footage and all them cuss words but I kinda figured that "theoretically" and "hypothetically", two 2" pipes "should" have the same area as a piece 4" pipe but I the real world, they don't...lol.

Now to just convince this muffler shop-dude this and that it can be done and that pretty much sounds to me like it's sposed to be that way which it also why it seems that's the reason why at least two different manufacturers make their 3 inch inlet with dual outlets in 2.5 inch....

So again, being on the pics...lol

Last edited: