Exhuast Changes Coming Soon - Need Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed this morning that my muffler was leaking up by the first clamp so I brought it to my neighbor to buy a clamp off of him but he decided to take a look at what was going on. He said the exhuast from the muffler to the back should be changed relatively soon (about 6 months to a year). Here is what is in my mind:

Dual exhaust
Two exhaust tips
Borla Xr-1 muffler

Suggestions? Anyone like the idea?

Possibly going to do this over winter break..

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not a huge fan of the way duals look, and I dont think you could ever go wrong with borla

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
XR1's are awesome. I think you will be very please with it if that is the direction you go

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the muffler, I prefer something that sounds like a beast when you stomp on it, but also isn't too loud or too quiet when driving normally, and of course, has a great sound.

I'm debating between the oval, and round shape..i'm thinking of the 3"in/3"out round muffler..

http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=5&type=72

Last edited:

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

mopar6spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Last edited:

mopar6spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm with ya on wanting a muffler that's loud when you stomp on it. Borla's deffinetly the right choice for that.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I just don't know what would sound best as to my preferences - round or oval shaped? I'm thinking round because it's a bit smaller, so it should be louder than the oval shaped, right?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I love the Borla setups, on my second one right now, had the kit that mopar sells for the 03-5 and liked it, quiet at idle and had a rumble when you get on it. Moved from that to the XR-1 and love it even more. its got a nice rumble to it, semi quiet at idle, no drone in the cab, but screams like hell when you get on it. There is very little change even from my cutout to the xr-1 at idle and cruising, WOT is a different story though.

Here is mine pre headers
[yt]epxrhE0BRP8[/yt]

and after headers
[yt]ubT2tJI5o_k[/yt]

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^I love the way that sounds. I could listen to it all day. Oh, that's right I can, I just have to listen to mine :)

[yt]s4_VpJhge0E[/yt]
[yt]jBXzRUiPO-4&NR=1[/yt]

[yt]rZ2KfCA1byU&feature=related[/yt]

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of those sound really nice, i think i'm going to stick with the xr-1

1. what do you guys think about the case shape, oval or round?

2. As for a dual set-up, do they make a dual set-up for my year/engine size? It seems like the gas tank and spare tire would be obstructing another pipe from exiting on the back of the driver's side..

Last edited:
OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking one muffler, and the pipe splitting in two.

Basically, it would be a single out muffler and have the pipe the goes from the muffler to the back of the truck connect to the muffler via one pipe, and then have it split into two. Would that be possible? And as far as having it dumped on opposite sides of the bumper in the back, that won't be able to be done, huh? I kinda liked that set-up lol

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no budget LOL...I got all this christmas stuff to buy, plus new tires, I wasn't even expecting to do the exhaust haha. I don't wanna spend too much anyway, I'm still in the market for trying to find a cummins in the spring. I've always wanted a dual set-up since I first got the truck, like the way I described above. But if it can't be done, then I just picked the wrong year to buy ;)

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I was thinking one muffler, and the pipe splitting in two.

Basically, it would be a single out muffler and have the pipe the goes from the muffler to the back of the truck connect to the muffler via one pipe, and then have it split into two. Would that be possible? And as far as having it dumped on opposite sides of the bumper in the back, that won't be able to be done, huh? I kinda liked that set-up lol

Im sure there is a way to do an h pipe like that, I want to do the samething eventually.

You could probably get away with going with a single in and then getting a magnaflow Y and stick it on the side going out to the pipes to split it but I dont know how well that will work.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure there is a way to do an h pipe like that, I want to do the samething eventually.

You could probably get away with going with a single in and then getting a magnaflow Y and stick it on the side going out to the pipes to split it but I dont know how well that will work.

alright, i'll bring it up to my neighbor before we get going on this and i'll see if he knows of some crazy way to go dual...

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plenty of guys have done h pipes. They're really no different than x pipe.