Explain Dry Nitrous Kit, 05 5.7 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What all would be required to put a dry nitrous kit on to my 2005 5.7 1500.. Has around 75k mi on it.

How much risk am I looking at if I only have a low shot of it?

And yes, I'm basically just looking for a cheap kit just so I can go around and say that I am running nitrous.

Truck is Completely stock Powertrain wise.

Even if it is not a good idea, I would still like to learn more about the specifics and how the systems are set up. The world of nitrous has always seemed rather sketchy or shaky to me. I would like to use this opportunity to clear some of the sketchiness up in general..

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A dry shot is a bad idea on a engine that doesn't run a MAF sensor, unless your tune is perfect you can VERY quickly lean out the cylinder and pop the top off a piston. If you are going to do a nitrous kit then pick up a wet kit. If you just want nitrous for the sake of having nitrous and never actually plan to run it, then get a 'show' kit that just has the purge system and use carbon dioxide so you're not paying the cost for nitrous refills

danhorntx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Charonblk07 beat me to it. If you're going to run a kit run a wet kit. Zex makes a good safe one that's not too expensive.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I am not a nitrous expert but I have learned quite a bit from being around it.

Basically if I'm not mistaken a dry kit injects just nitrous and it mixes with fuel in the cylinder and the fuel source to the engine ( the injectors in this case ) has to provide the extra fuel needed to keep a good air fuel ratio.

A wet kit has its own source of fuel and injects fuel and nitrous at the same time so the normal engine source doesn't have to change much to keep good air fuel ratios.

you can never be to careful with nitrous I'm with everyone else do a wet kit its alot safer and easier to manage. I also recomend adding a RPM, and Airfuel cut off switch so if your rpm goes to high (say you start spinning or something) or your air fuel ratios go lean it'll cut off the nitrous keeping your engine safe.

OP
OP
Explit Player

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what would be the best way to do a small shot of nitrous, relatively cheap, but acceptable in terms of safety. Trading HP jump for safety

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would pick up a wet kit and you'll be able to run anything from a 50-175 shot. A basic kit will have everything you'll need to run up to a 75 shot without requiring all the other things that tend to be required for larger shots.

OP
OP
Explit Player

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would pick up a wet kit and you'll be able to run anything from a 50-175 shot. A basic kit will have everything you'll need to run up to a 75 shot without requiring all the other things that tend to be required for larger shots.
Any kit reccomendations? Like what all would I need for it to be safe?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you're just planning a 75 shot then you can look at kits from Zex, Nitrous Express, or Nitrous Outlet. You don't need a purge or bottle heater, but I would make sure whatever kit you get comes with a WOT switch, which is why I like the Zex kit over others as it's an integrated control module with a lot fewer pieces and less to install. A 75 shot will take a lot before it leans out if you keep the stock fuel trims so an AFR switch really isn't necessary. If you want 'safe' then get a Hobbs switch (fuel pressure safety switch) and install it in the fuel system so if rail pressure drops below 50psi it will shut off the nitrous system. And run the stock tune or an 89 tune on 93 fuel, you don't want to be running the higher timing advance that comes with the higher octant tunes.

Anything above a 75 shot and you'll want to be looking at colder plugs, pulling timing in the tune, and things to keep the nitrous flowing at the proper pressures.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
If you're just planning a 75 shot then you can look at kits from Zex, Nitrous Express, or Nitrous Outlet. You don't need a purge or bottle heater, but I would make sure whatever kit you get comes with a WOT switch, which is why I like the Zex kit over others as it's an integrated control module with a lot fewer pieces and less to install. A 75 shot will take a lot before it leans out if you keep the stock fuel trims so an AFR switch really isn't necessary. If you want 'safe' then get a Hobbs switch (fuel pressure safety switch) and install it in the fuel system so if rail pressure drops below 50psi it will shut off the nitrous system. And run the stock tune or an 89 tune on 93 fuel, you don't want to be running the higher timing advance that comes with the higher octant tunes.

Anything above a 75 shot and you'll want to be looking at colder plugs, pulling timing in the tune, and things to keep the nitrous flowing at the proper pressures.

Agree, 75 shot is a safe setup, however a bottle heater is a MUST or a NANO kit!!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Agree, 75 shot is a safe setup, however a bottle heater is a MUST or a NANO kit!!

I disagree on a small shot like a 75 on a vehicle where the OP has stated it's more to say "I'm running nitrous". If it was being regularly run at the track where bottle pressure makes a big difference, especially down track, then yes a bottle heater is good and a NANO is even better, but it's not a requirement for the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
That's your opinion, Charonblk07 and welcome to it. When I added a bottle heater to my system it made a world of difference, waaaay more consistent shot. Even if your only using a 75hp hit, isn't that the whole purpose of a power adder More power!!. I would never recommend a NOS kit without a heater, your losing potential horsepower. Also, if it's a cold day your definitely not getting the bottle at the proper pressure. Bottle fills are not cheap in NY so you need to utilize every bit.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
the zex wet setup will proabably be the easiest to install...it will have both the nitrous and fuel solenoids in a single box and there is now real customizing to the motor...just plug the line to the already existing connector on the fuel rail and your about ready to rock and roll... I do run a nitrous plate (spacer behind tb), and purge..

nos_zexbx1.jpg
nos_plate.jpg
nos_purge.jpg

before i ran a plate I tapped a tb spacer I got when I did an aftermarket cai

PIC-0152.jpg
nos_bottle.jpg