The famous power wire mod.. Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i made my own 4.7k resistor power wire, and i was wondering about which side of my Air temp sensor to connect it to. What effects should i feel also from doing this (if done correctly)?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either side should work the same I've been told

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean by power wire? A resistor connected the intake air temp sensor? Likely won't do a thing except maybe turn on the check engine light. And it won't increase mpg. The idea it that it makes the pcm think that it is colder outside than it is. That way it will give a little more fuel. If it actually works, and does this, it will decrease fuel mileage slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Won't trip the CEL, will increase fuel by roughly 2% from other threads I've read. Some users claim mpg increase. But users mostly report a slight increase of power at WOT (ebay power wires claim 8-10 hp). But 2% fuel shouldn't't be a drastic drop on mpgs.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you measure 2% extra fuel? Why only at wide open throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
IMO. the IAT is a sensor that plays an important part in the constant changing tune of your engine using real time inputs. It is set conservatively and can be adjusted to suit individuals setups. I used a AeroForce Interceptor gauge to monitor IAT and ambient temperature and settled on 20 degree offset. The colder the inlet air the more timing is seen, this will lead to fuel knock if taken too far or if premium fuel is not used. I chased my tail with this trying to eliminate knock at one point not realizing I had created the problem myself. When I converted to a stand alone PCM I learned the importance of having accurate inputs as they all contribute to the quality of the tune. I now recommend the sensor be well insulated and place close to the mouth of the Throttle body. The SRT style IAT has a longer stock and IMO less susceptible heat soak from the engine heat. Under hood temperatures sky rocket when sitting still. I would recommend getting the coolest air possible to the intake rather than adjusting the IAT.

Ugly but works pretty good.
img2011050200057.jpg

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never understood the point of these things, IMO making the engine think it's getting colder air than it actually is will just create a rich situation. A richer mixture doesn't equal more power or more mpg. Getting actual colder air to the engine equals more power. Making sensors read false information just doesn't seem advisable to me.