First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snakepitt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2007 Ram from a small local dealership. They did an oil change before I picked up the truck. I have driven the truck right at 4000 miles and went ahead and did my first oil change. I know the 5.7L Hemi holds 7 qts of oil, just like the 6.1. When I drained the oil, nothing even close to 7 qts came out, I would guess about 4 qts or so came out and the oil filter was just hand tight.
Well I filled the new Fram filter with nearly a full qt of oil and installed it PROPERLY and tight. I refilled the engine with Mobil 1 adding 6 qts over the 1 that went into the filter. The oil level shows right where it should and I can rest assured for the next 4-5ooo miles until I do it again.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I bought my 2007 Ram from a small local dealership. They did an oil change before I picked up the truck. I have driven the truck right at 4000 miles and went ahead and did my first oil change. I know the 5.7L Hemi holds 7 qts of oil, just like the 6.1. When I drained the oil, nothing even close to 7 qts came out, I would guess about 4 qts or so came out and the oil filter was just hand tight.
Well I filled the new Fram filter with nearly a full qt of oil and installed it PROPERLY and tight. I refilled the engine with Mobil 1 adding 6 qts over the 1 that went into the filter. The oil level shows right where it should and I can rest assured for the next 4-5ooo miles until I do it again.
Wow! Did it look like it leaked from the filter? Or did they just not fill it?

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an issue where the dealer was overfilling my new minivan (6 qts)..

maybe they weren't letting it all drain out... doesn't explain then why it was in there for nearly 2 hours haha

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By the book, Hemis can burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles and they consider that acceptable. If it's been 4000 miles, you could have burnt that oil easily. I would check it in 1000 miles and see where the oil level is at before making any assumptions if there was no obvious signs of leakage from the filter.

OP
OP
S

snakepitt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By the book, Hemis can burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles and they consider that acceptable. If it's been 4000 miles, you could have burnt that oil easily. I would check it in 1000 miles and see where the oil level is at before making any assumptions if there was no obvious signs of leakage from the filter.
Why is burning a quart every 1000 miles deemed acceptable? Is it a problem with rings not sealing? Or do the valve seals just not seal?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There will be a small amount lost through the pcv system and oil is required on the cylinder walls for lubrication and that will be burned. Check you oil more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is burning a quart every 1000 miles deemed acceptable? Is it a problem with rings not sealing? Or do the valve seals just not seal?

Because a lot of auto manufacturers now are not willing to do things right. I had the same problem with my audi, it used over a quart per 1k miles, and fell just over their oil consumption failure. They replaced all the rings, and now it doesn't burn oil anymore. So little that you would never be able to tell on the dipstick after 5k miles.

They say it is ok, because it doesn't really harm anything, but this still isn't right. Engines shouldn't burn this much oil...