Frustrated!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A while ago I read somewhere (DT I think) that knock sensors can pick up header noise and result with KR. Are the headers rattling on anything? That may cause the KR.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
The header bolts are due to be torqued down/checked again (try to do it 2-3 times a year) so I can check them but the past few times I have checked them they were fine/nothing loose. But would header noise cause that much KR? I could see where its only been 0.5-2 degrees or so but there have been times where its hit 10+

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure if headers could do that, I would not even think running 89oct with a 93 tune would give you 10+, especially at part throttle. You have something weird going on. But it may be worth a try to re-torque the header bolts and climb under your truck when it is running just to make sure that your headers are not vibrating and contacting anything.

The other thing, do you know which side you are getting KR from? You can datalog the KR sensor voltage for each sensor and see if it is only one sensor picking up the KR or both sensors. If it is one, maybe you have a bad knock sensor.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you get this worked out man...

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well you tell me on this one, the screen shot from my data log above has both sides showing KR, just not 4* of it, and they both seem to be relatively close to one another. I'll review the log again when I get home from work and see if there is a difference in which side it is seeing the KR in

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well you tell me on this one, the screen shot from my data log above has both sides showing KR, just not 4* of it, and they both seem to be relatively close to one another. I'll review the log again when I get home from work and see if there is a difference in which side it is seeing the KR in

I see that now, I wasn't paying attention to that when I looked at your log screenshot last time. You do look like you are getting a fair amount more from sensor 2 though. I am running out of ideas.

Did you get a tune from HemiFever yet to see if that fixes it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
No, not yet. I asked him about it and for as much KR as I am seeing he thinks there is more contributing to the KR than the tune as he has never seen KR at prt throttle

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm just throwing out ideas at this point:

Have you tried to return your tune to stock and datalog to see if you have KR at part throttle then? Or maybe even the 87 tune? Just to see if you get KR on any of those.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I would imagine that it would be knocking without the tune regardless because of the LT's leaning things out. I think I am going to switch it to an older release and do a log and see what if anything that does for it (I have all of them from 9r04 to the current one saved at home) and if that doesn't get rid of it then I guess I got a lot of trouble shooting to take care of.

I'll shoot Hemifever another email and see if he can write a tune for me. $250 for unlimited tuning right?

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would imagine that it would be knocking without the tune regardless because of the LT's leaning things out. I think I am going to switch it to an older release and do a log and see what if anything that does for it (I have all of them from 9r04 to the current one saved at home) and if that doesn't get rid of it then I guess I got a lot of trouble shooting to take care of.

I'll shoot Hemifever another email and see if he can write a tune for me. $250 for unlimited tuning right?

$250 is what he told me, but check with him for the cost. I would try some of your old croms and maybe even a 87 tune just to see if it gets rid of the KR, at least then you can rule out the current crom as the problem.

That offer that I PMed you still stands as well.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
So I had hemifever take a look at my last log, from what he gathered, my KR comes in when I am in a high gear at low rpms and then accelerate this puts a lot of load on the engine and because it doesn't automatically down shift when it does this it causes almost 0 vacuume and that causes the KR. In combination with that Im running hot, around 206*, so the addition of the 180* t-stat (which I have, just havent gotten around to installing it) should bring down the KR a bit. Going to see about a custom tune though. That should make things better.

Last edited:

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm glad you are getting it figured out. Hopefully the 180* t-stat and custom tune takes care of it.

Let us know how you like the custom tune once you get it.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Not yet. The 180* T-Stat I had sitting in the garge wasn't opening right (stuck it in boiling water and it didn't budge) so it was sent back, new one should be here end of week.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Truckin,
i don't have anything to contribute, but interested in you getting this fixed. Good luck..

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Im swapping the tune back to the 9r06 tonight and gonna see if that works out better. Eventhough that CROM has no trans tuning for the 05's it feels so much stronger than the current one with the trans tuning

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well, 9r08 out 9r06 in and KR at part throttle seems to be gone. Started raining so I couldn't go through the array or tests but initially KR appears to be gone. Trans tuning is gone too BUT it feels suprisingly good and pulls good and strong. Looks like its going to stay like this for a while. Dont need the WOT shift settings right now anyways, its so hot and humid out it just be a disappointment to look at the times. Trans also runs about 15* cooler with out the trans options loaded

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well it passed the 0-100 test with 0 KR, and part throttle is at 0 KR, gotta wait til later today on my drive home when its really hot out to do a double check there at part throttle but all my KR issues appear to be tune related. If you are running the DSP and the canned tune (not custom tune) on either the 9r07 or 9r08 CROM's I'd go do a log for KR.