Fuel Cleaners-are they worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning all, have a quick question for you all....fuel/injection cleaners I've seen some adds on them but was wondering if they really work or do they really do anything beside getting you to spend money? I was going to go out and get a bottle just to see but figure I would ask first....your thoughts??

shawnb1043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its good to do from time to time. i wouldnt use anything but seafoam or lucas

Flashback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seafoam both through the tank & through a vacuum line.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I toss in some STP or 44k after an oil change normally. I run 93 or higher so most of my stuff stays clean.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Red often sits for long periods and I use fuel dryer to clear moisture.

OP
OP
G

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hmm ok sounds good guys and thank you for the tip...much apreciated!!! thank you

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always used SeaFoam in the tank. I don't do it at any set interval, just kind of when I see the can sitting there, I add about 1/3 can to the tank.

Does it help? Not that I can tell.

Am I wasting my money? Maybe, maybe not. I've never had plugged injectors or similar.

I think it's a good idea, and I will continue to use it.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Lucas at every oil change. If nothing else, just for piece of mind.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Does it clean injectors? Don't know. Does it do anthing? Yes. It takes a certain amount of water with it out of the gas tank and through the combustion cycle with no ill effects. Water sitting in the bottom of the tank is a timebomb.

OP
OP
G

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you guys for your input going to go out and get either the seaFoam or Lucas which ever I can pick up....thank you again!!

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Higher octane fuel doesn't run cleaner! Any top tier fuel will have the same amounts of detergents no matter the octane. Running higher octane on an engine not tuned for it is a waste. It's a fact.

Some BG44K, Seafoam, or Chevron Techron will keep things clean. Every oil change is all I do. I run nothing but top tier fuels.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use seafoam as well. Usually at every oil change. I was also curious if using it often could hurt my truck.. I dont plan on using it a while lot but just putting some in the tank and then for every oil change running it through the brake booster. I dont put a ton of miles on my truck and although I drive everyday, I would 10min down the road and thats really all I go. So I could imagine there is some moisture that needs to be taken out

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good quality gas has more than enough detergents, however coking can still occur in the TB, so cleaning it every timey you complete a tune up is a good idea. An engineer from Exxon years back told me he runs the same brand gas for 5000 miles then changes to another Tier 1 gas for the next 5000 miles. He explained that each company have different formulations and the impurities can accumulate. The way the degerents work, they look for alien materials. By changing brands, the new gas cleans out what was left by the prior. As far as additives, he said spend your money on washing and waxing for a better payback.