Fuel System Upgrade Ideas/Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey guys, I'm fishing for ideas and have a couple questions. After the gears/DTT are in the fuel systems getting reworked, for forced induction. So here's my questions.

1. What are the OEM injector sizes... 26lbs or 29 lbs.
And how big should I increase? 32-36 lb injectors is what Ive heard. But I can also go up to 43lb (Overkill?)

2. How much will my stock fuel pump provide? How is it rated? And should I upgrade it?

3. With injectors comes fuel rails. How big should I be looking for?

4. Any lines or fittings I should replace, upgrade?

5. With all these changes, will I be able to tune the amount of fuel I want?

Thanks for your input in advance guys!

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Until you get heads and or Huge Cam....You shouldn't require bigger Injectors IMO Trup. jFood for thought Dude! If You by a Supercharger then what you need, Injectors, colder plugs will be included or recommended in that applicable Kit, or one would think.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
yeah, really no gains there until you start diggin into the engine

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Im buying the base kit. Comes with an intercooler/supercharger/plumbing/belt. Im tuning it with the DSP, and it will require at least larger injectors. But I also plan on tearing the engine apart eventually and redoing some internals, so I can crank up the boost if I want. So that's why I wanna upgrade the fuel system so I wont have to again when I get more boost pressure. And Im not using that ninth injector crap! Im not looking for gains out of upgrading the fuel system, just overall supporting mod for bigger things to come. Supercharger/cam/12+ boost psi.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Then you will need a way to tune it, the DSP will only do WOT fuel settings and I believe if you go to the bigger injectors you will have to get it tuned so its not running pig rich but I may be wrong on that. PM/Email HemiFever and see what he says about it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Trip your gonna need to get built to run 12 safely. You can peak 12 but its goona crack a piston or bend a stock rod. What kit are you looking at, post up a link and we can see what your gonna need. There are alot of guys running either, 6.1 ingectors, srt 4 ingectors or ford cobra ones.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Trip your gonna need to get built to run 12 safely. You can peak 12 but its goona crack a piston or bend a stock rod. What kit are you looking at, post up a link and we can see what your gonna need. There are alot of guys running either, 6.1 ingectors, srt 4 ingectors or ford cobra ones.

Yeah that's why I said Im gonna redo the engine internals eventually. I dont want the 6.1 injectors, or any others made for different vehicles. I want ones made for my truck, which I can aquire, just need to know what rating I would require for injector fuel rail sizes. think Ill post these questions over on DT. They'll prolly know cause they'res a ton of boosted guys over there. I just need a rating for what size injectors to get and any other upgrades I should do.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Then you will need a way to tune it, the DSP will only do WOT fuel settings and I believe if you go to the bigger injectors you will have to get it tuned so its not running pig rich but I may be wrong on that. PM/Email HemiFever and see what he says about it.

Truckin Ill try that. I'm not sure the limits of the DSP. I was told it can tune everything, that's what my dyno guys use. But Ill ask the question. Thanks man!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Talk to both Stu at Inertia and Sean (Hemifever) both are tuners and have had a hand in boosted builds. Your looking at 6k for a procharger, engine internals and thats to get you up and runing unless you get a hook up on parts or a used paxton. I think when I was looking at going the STS route I was near 7k without labor or trans or driveshafts.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ill do the install myself. Tuner kit with intercooler, but without injectors and all that unichip crap is gonna run me $4800. Ill need at least bigger fuel injectors to run the kit. Gonna run 7-8 lbs of boost until I get to tearing the motor apart. Then Ill try for at least 12-15. See what that nets me as far as rear wheel power. Might cam it too, when I tear the into the engine but not sure. I'm looking for 450-500 rear wheel HP/TQ.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Sounds like you have a plan, while your at it just for saftey, install drive shaft loops. These drive shaftes tend to twist and come apart around 400+. What injectors are coming in the kit just that you dont like? That price sounds in line with the older GSMotorsports kit. Your truck will be even more beastly.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Do you already have the 1 piece drive shaft?

If not might want to think about it just to get ride of one joint :)

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Truckin Ill try that. I'm not sure the limits of the DSP. I was told it can tune everything, that's what my dyno guys use. But Ill ask the question. Thanks man!

No it can do it all, its just not something you can adjust, you would have to get a custom tune for the part throttle fuel trims. Again I think that is the case.

But damn man, thats a hell of a build and a whole lot of $$$$ that you are going to dump into that thing when all is said and done. But if you are going to that much power, you are going to want to replace the trans with something that can handle it, replace the driveshaft with a higher quality one for when it snaps, and beaf up the rear end, maybe upgrade to a dana 60. There is a lot of parts that will go bad real quick after getting it to put out that much hp/tq that will add up real quick like.

One thing that I want to do and will eventually when the things start taking a dump is to pull the engine, trans and rear end and replace them with a 6.1 based 426, better trans, steel driveshaft, and dana 60 rear end. Personally if I am going to spend the cash I'd rather go bigger than go FI or gas, but thats just the route I want to go some day.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't want the tuner kit, cause I dont need the stupid unichip or weak injectors. I want quality ****, and I know when I replace them with what quality stuff, it'll last a long time. I didn't like the 9th injector they had at first, so I don't wanna see what kind of cheap injectors they have in the kits now. Good idea about the drive shaft loop, though Im not sure if it's one piece or two. I believe the 4x4's are one, but Ill have to check. Thanks guys!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trup, One pce drive shaft for the rear, and one piece for the front, both feeding outta the Transfer case tailed on the rear of the trans.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sweet thanks Danny. I think Im going with 03 Cobra/Bosch injectors, not sure what fuel rails yet, and possibly a fuel pump upgrade. Wonder if I need a fuel pressure regulator upgrade or not. Prolly do some XRP racing fuel fittings/hoses. Dudes on DT have been saying also to go with a srt-4 map sensor.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cobra, SRT-4, Wow, Sounds complicated, but also, that you are doing all the research you can too!

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The 03 cobra's are plug and play 39# injectors. OEM ram injectors are 26 or 29#. Srt-4 2 bar map sensor is for boosted applications, will plug and play in the hemi, but requires tuning to run the engine correctly. Then all I need is billet fuel rails, and I'm golden. Have to get my dyno guys to tune, or get the lifetime tuning by hemifever. Those alone should handle the supercharger. Other upgrades are for increased boost levels.