Fuel System Upgrade Ideas/Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Trup,
Here is something to consider, I was reading somewhere and they were talking about the ford 39# injectors and comparing them with the 5.7 injectors and it was mentioned that the ford injectors are rated at a different pressure than the 5.7 so the flows are different than advertised. A formula was posted to convert the flows for a real comparison. I'll see if I can find the reference.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was talkin to this guy and he has a turbo with 13 lbs of boost. He said I should upgrade to 80# injectors from siemen racing, and redo my fuel lines with a holley 255lph fuel pump, and a Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and also billet fuel rails. Think that's what I'll do. His truck is amazing! He said 80# injectors will work up to 15lbs of boost, and thats as high as I'd ever go. I think this is my plan! What do ya think?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trup,
I know you are very pro-active with your truck, but my opinion on this one is you are making somewhat a mistake with going with the bigger injectors before they are needed and will cause you considerable tuning problems. I think the stock fuel system will adequately support your initial fuel needs when you first install the SuperCharger. Then as you adjust power levels it will become clear what needs to be done to support that specific level. As you adjust fuel pressures the injector flow rating changes. So a 39# injector will be rated less at a lower rail pressure or a 29# injector will be rated more at a higher rail pressure. I'm ignorant about this stuff, but know using too big of injectors will require a lot of fuel being pulled and makes tuning difficult if not impossible. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks man! But I think I'm still gonna go this direction. 39# injectors are gonna cost me around $600-$800 bucks. And I can get these 80# injectors for $420 for 8. Like you said, I'll be able to regulate the fuel pressure down and lower how much fuel is sprayed, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Thanks for the input though man! I'm just shopping for ideas now, so I wont actually be set with what I want till the gears/DTT is done. These are just supporting mods for the blower, so I might still change my mind, but not likely. And if they end up not working... then it's trial and error, and I'll learn that lesson the hard way.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trup,
Curious, you mention adjusting the rail pressure to the purpose of tuning. I have not heard of that strategy before. Is that a common tuning technique with FI? When I was refering to pressure and flow ratings it was only in reference the advertised rate of the injector.
You are going to like those gears! How about some updated photos?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm gonna wash her up all nice today and go downtown to take some more shots for the RF calender. I'll put them up today. I had my buddy weld those perches to my axle yesterday, so I don't have to worry about them. Was gonna install the caltracs but I ran out of time. I'll put them on next week. Man I cant wait!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm gonna wash her up all nice today and go downtown to take some more shots for the RF calender. I'll put them up today. I had my buddy weld those perches to my axle yesterday, so I don't have to worry about them. Was gonna install the caltracs but I ran out of time. I'll put them on next week. Man I cant wait!

Trup be prepared to have a bit of a hassle getting the front spring bushings out. I did mine on a bench and it was still a *****. Update on injectors. I been researching for the 03's tuning and it has come up that pulling fuel reduces the transmission line pressure signal, prossibly causing the trans to slip. I made reference to this in the 03 thread. Be careful running big injectors. I would recommend doing your upgrades but keeping the 5.7 injectors. If you need more juice up your pressure a little and see if that will work. Pulling fuel can hurt the trans under certain situations.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's for an 03, is that the same for 05? I don't know why more fuel pressure would lower tranny signal pressure. I would potentially be able to change the fuel pressure with the regulator, but there's no way the stock injectors would handle what I'm doing... I would be limited to like 1-2 lbs of boost. Hmmm that's really wierd, I'll have to ask. Where did you find that info from?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trup, you got it a little wrong, Pulling fuel lowers the trans signal reducing line pressure. Thats why I suggested not using too big of injectors, so if you had to pull fuel it wouldn't be enough to hurt anything. From what I understand, pulling fuel is being done by manipulating the MAP signal to the PCM telling the PCM that the load is lighter than what it actually is, less fuel needed. In turn the PCM see's a light load and reduces the trans line pressure. This is a trans thing not specific for 03's. My thinking is the Sonnax, Transgo or home made trans line booster up's the line pressure so why not run one of those or play a little with the resistance to restore the pulled line pressure if any. Normal line pressure is 125-135 lbs. But I read Sharadon did some pressure test and ran trans pressures up to 300lbs and did some exended test at 185 lbs. without failure. Anyway point of the post was to let folks know that pulling fuel can reduce transmission line pressure, which in turn allows slippage and generates heat. Good luck ......

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trup, Here is some supporting information for what I was previously talking about.
Note: This was blatantly stolen from another site, however it is a puplic domain so I'll post it.

Injectors: 5.7 are 30# and 6.1 is just under 36# like 35.7# at 58-59 psi (4 bar). If you go shopping online for injectors, most places will give you the flow rate at 43.5 psi (3 bar), so in that case, the 6.1 injector is really only about 29.5 #'s. They flow higher for us only because of the higher operating fuel pressure that Chrysler chooses to use.

This is a guide to calculate injector sizes

RC Fuel Injection

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks VA! That helped alot! I looked around for about an hour and found these, so maybe I'll go with some 590cc or 650cc injectors instead. It said that 80# injectors are good for 850hp... and I wont be going over 600. So I think 2 sets of these will work out better. I can still play with the fuel pressures a lil, but they will be more around my operating range.

DeatschWerks SRT4 Injectors, Set of 4 (SRT-4) EDO Performance

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trup,
Using the fuel Injector Worksheet (bottom calculator) even at 600 hp it is only calling for 500cc/48lbs injectors. I'm thinking the SRT-4 injector are so large is because they are engineered for a four cylinder making a lot of turbo charge horsepower. In other words if you are making the same power as a engine with twice as many cylinders your injectors will be half the size as that of the four cylinder. Not saying your hp is the same as the SRT-4 but using it as a general comparison. Keep us updated.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Take it to pms fellas...........there's a reason they are blocked out. ;)

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Some sites block the others sites some don't. IMO, it's a silly practice....

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Places that have spammed a forum typically are censored. Its common practice fellas.

If you have any other concerns, shoot them over in PM to me, Dave or any of the staff. Thanks!