Gear lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So after my recent diff scare, i was thinkin of changing the fluid, i did it at 30k im at 90 now. first time i did it i used a siphon pump, id like to remove the cover and wipe it out. few ?'s Gasket, or permatex. and i used pennsoil before with mopar additive. ive heard good thing bout royal purple. does it require the additive also. and if so id only need it in the rear?

Thanks

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I got my gear oil from Napa and it came with the additive already mixed in. I think it was Valvoline. And I've used a gasket from Napa the last 2 times I did it. A LOT less mess than using RTV or something.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be very careful, some brands will state they have the LS in them but give no real information on if its really in their.

However, Mobile1 is the only one I would used. They specifically state they have LS in the oil. I have been using it on my diff for the past 3k miles. Going good so far.

The additive is only needed for the rear, but will not hurt the front. I believe your weight is 75w-90. If you choose any other brand then Mobile1, buy the $8 mopar additive.

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I used mobile1 75-140 with additive in mine. And bought an aftermarket diff cover that came with a gasket. But permatex should work fine if you can't find a gasket.