Had a scare with mine today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys

Had a weird thing happen to me today and I'm a bit puzzled as to what it could be.

I was in my drive way and I loaded (what I THOUGHT was) the Hemi Fever tune onto my truck.
I did the PCM and the TCM tune. It took fine. Though, I did notice that I got the message about some parameters being changed I was like.. O...k... that's weird...

Fired the truck up. Idled fine.

Pulled outta drive and immediately could feel something was off. It didn't run "bad" just... not what I'm familiar with it running with the HF tune.

So pulled into my local Kmart. Went inside. Did my thing.
Back at truck, turn key. Just cranks. Does not fire.

GREAT! w..t.....
I notice now my yellow engine light is staying lit when the key is on.

So I look at the last tune loaded. It was actually the DS 93oct perf tune.
I then load the HF tune. Crank it. SAME THING. Just cranks.

I do this a couple more times. Same results.
I then notice that the "lightening" symbol comes on during initial check, but goes off. AS SOON as it goes off, the engine light flashes 10 times.

So I load my stock tune and in the process I guess I ERASED the HF tunes from the tuner!?

For nothing. Same result. Just cranks. Doesn't fire.

Call my wife for extraction. I drop her and the kids back off and go back to Kmart.

Key in, crank. FIRES UP. OK... now I'm really stumped.
And even more so after it DIED about 5 seconds after starting.

I've never had any problems with this truck to date.
So, I think... OK, maybe fuel pump and not tuner related.
Because, come to think of it, it felt a little sluggish after the last tune install just before these issues.

So I open my door, turn key to "ON" and ... well, there's the fuel pump coming on. Runs about 2.5 secs then shuts off. OK...
Fuel filter???
I try again. This time it feels like the truck want's to fire but almost like it's flooded at the point where it normally fires. Well, I don't want to kill the battery just yet and normally it's like hitting gas with a match. It normally fires right up at key turn.

I reload the stock tune again. Same results.
So I sit in my truck on my iPad googeling the hell outta this issue and didn't find anything specific to my experience. Closest I found was to disconnect the battery. I did. Waited 10 seconds or so and reconnected.

Tried again. Same thing. Tried 4-5 more times. Same thing.

Googled some more. Finally frustration kicks in and I turn the key.

It is now acting like it is flooded. Trying to catch up.
FINALLY after about 8 seconds worth of cranking, it FIRES.
Slightly sluggish at first idle but then smooths out.

So I call the wife to get the kids ready so we can drag them back out again. And the truck dies.

Turn key: FIRES.
Idles for another minute then dies again.

New plan. Go get wife and kids, they follow behind me in the Sedona (great minivan, btw. Love it. No complaints whatsoever on this thing) and if the truck dies, I'll fire it up. If it won't, AAA it is. Screw it.

We make it home.

I shut it down 3-4 times in the drive. And it fires right up just like it used to. BUT, on the way home it felt weaker than normal. I guess this could be related to having a HF tune for almost the whole time I had the truck :naughty:

So, I go to re install the HF tune and this is when I noticed it isn't there anymore. I guess when I installed the stock tune and "reset this device" it erased it. Now I gotta put the damned thing back on there.

So I installed the canned 93oct perf tune and it is still firing back up.

I have no clue what caused this debacle today.

anyone?

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to mention that once the engine fires the "engine light" goes off and didn't come back on yet.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like 90+ others are stumped too :D

Well, off to work with it I go. Hope it doesn't let me down. Gonna be a pain at 0300 to get a tow truck probably. On Easter. On a Sunday morning. Geesh. lol

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try the other key fob. Maybe a chip issue. Happened in my 06.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately it's the only one that came with the truck.

I forgot to mention that when the truck died the first two times it would chime and "check gages" would light.

Today, no issues at all.
This morning it still had the engine flashing 10 times thing going on.
But when I got home and shut it off and then turned it back on there was only a solid light now where it used to be flashing.

The truck runs fine.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wow...it almost sounds as if it has half of one tune and the half of another tune loaded.

I partially killed the PCM in my SRT when loading a custom tune but the folks at Diablosport walked me through a "Force" function to reload the stock tune. After that they walked me through a deletion process to get rid of all the original canned tunes. They emailed me some files, including a CROM update. I did the CROM update, then loaded up a new set of canned tunes.

After all that I loaded a 91 octane canned tune and off I went and everything worked fine.

A month later I had a CMR tune done at a qualified tuning shop and I've not had a problem since.

I say give them a call tomorrow.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow...it almost sounds as if it has half of one tune and the half of another tune loaded.

I partially killed the PCM in my SRT when loading a custom tune but the folks at Diablosport walked me through a "Force" function to reload the stock tune. After that they walked me through a deletion process to get rid of all the original canned tunes. They emailed me some files, including a CROM update. I did the CROM update, then loaded up a new set of canned tunes.

After all that I loaded a 91 octane canned tune and off I went and everything worked fine.

A month later I had a CMR tune done at a qualified tuning shop and I've not had a problem since.

Sounds like my best option. It was actually my first thought but I assumed they wouldn't be open yesterday. It was confirmed when I read some stuff on their forum.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did not get a chance to call today. Super busy. Been up since 0300 and just now had the chance to shower and relax before I get to do it all over again.

I figured since the truck is running fine now that there may not even be a point in calling. I have it documented here for future reference should I need to refresh my memory in a (hopefully not) situation in the future.

:favorites13: