Hard shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I have a DSP on my truck, and ever since I put it on, when it shifts while the Rpms are high, it lurches hard. Is this normal and something to be expected? Or is there something I can modify on the tuner to change that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Have you messed with the shift points any? Did you have a tuner on there before? They reduce the TM to give you a firmer quicker shift so if you haven't had a tuner that lowered the TM that may be it but if its a harsh shift that's something else

OP
OP
BlackedOutHemi

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
No, haven't messed with shift points yet. But it seems harsh to me. Jerks Me and my passengers forward in our seats when it shifts.

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's normal dude. My truck does it too. That's the point of the tuner really is to make it shift hard rather than the mush **** it does stock. Don't floor it and you won't get rattled.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If its not a studder but more of a firm shift its normal. I didnt think the canned shifts were to bad, but I went from the sc3815 to the dsp so it wasnt that much of a change just felt a little crisper. Give it some time to learn and see what happens, it should mellow out a little

OP
OP
BlackedOutHemi

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Well, it's been about three months now. One of the first things I bought. Hasn't learned much. I'll play around with it, just nervous to mess something up.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Reload the tne if its bothering you, I'd start messing with it though, you should be able to do WOT and up shifts plus some other fun things. Do some searching and you should be able to find some decent shift points to start with.

Only thing you DO NOT want to mess with is the WOT FUEL and WOT SPARK adjustments. Those can screw things up. If you are not tweaking things you are not using the DSP to its full capability.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my truck kicks hard if im romping on it. just driving through the city you can tell the shifts are firmer, it kinda kicks a little more with the superchips. that and the cam haha. that extra torque is fun :)

OP
OP
BlackedOutHemi

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Okay. Thanks everyone. Just making sure it's normal. I'll play around with it a bit then. See what I can do.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If you dont want the hard kick at higher speeds, click the tow/haul on, wait for the revs to go up and then hit the gas. dont just hit it and go, give it a second. Should down shift or upshift if you are in second prime into 3rd and you wont get that hard o a shift. If you dont wait though you'll get a rough shift that is really quite bad.

capsalot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine used to shift really hard with the stock tune, 87 tune and mileage tune.

I switched over to 91 performance tune the other day, put a full tank of 91 octane in it and now it shifts smooth as a baby's nude butt.

Even when I give it WOT from a dead stop it's hard to tell when it is shifting.

Possibly try some 91 octane if you are really nervous.

OP
OP
BlackedOutHemi

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
No the downshifts aren't hard. And I'm using 93 octane on a 91 tune.