Hard Starting and random dying problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi_raminator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi my name is nolan im new to the site and this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out. i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. the problem i am having is when the truck is cold (has sat overnight) it starts up fine with no problems. but once it has been warmed up and you shut it off and go back to start it up it has a long crank time before starting (10-15 seconds) before it starts, and once it starts you get a strong fuel odor but it does eventually start every time. it has had this problem since i bought it back in 2009. and the other thing is that every couple months or so you will be driving down the road and it will randomly die but it will start right back up every time. when these problems occur it has never popped a code or turned on the check engine light. i have had it to multiple dealerships multiple times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. do any of you guys have any idea what is going on or had the same problem? any help would be appreciated. other than these problems i have no other issues with the truck thanks.

sandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hot start problems

Hi my name is nolan im new to the site and this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out. i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. the problem i am having is when the truck is cold (has sat overnight) it starts up fine with no problems. but once it has been warmed up and you shut it off and go back to start it up it has a long crank time before starting (10-15 seconds) before it starts, and once it starts you get a strong fuel odor but it does eventually start every time. it has had this problem since i bought it back in 2009. and the other thing is that every couple months or so you will be driving down the road and it will randomly die but it will start right back up every time. when these problems occur it has never popped a code or turned on the check engine light. i have had it to multiple dealerships multiple times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. do any of you guys have any idea what is going on or had the same problem? any help would be appreciated. other than these problems i have no other issues with the truck thanks.

I have the same exact issues with my truck. Same year, make and model. Have you resolved the issue yet? If so what was it? It's driving me nut!
Much thank,
Sandy

Karen Breeden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought mine yesterday, ran fine during test drive and when i picked it up when i stopped for gas it didnt want to start.. had to push on the accelerator to get it going.. my son says he had the same problem with a dodge durango. some kind of valve was sticking.. he says it is not a commonly known thing on these vehicles..like one of those parts you dont know you have til you find it.. he is going to check it out and see if it needs cleaning and let me know.... he fixed it on his durango simply by cleaning this thing.. fingers crossed it works.