header install ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah delaware sucks. my parents have a total soccer mom van. me and my dad went through the other day and they checked his front windows for tint because the backs are pretty dark, but it's factory. same little chinese dude that checked my exhaust when i went thru with my "rig" he walked around the truck. looked down.....no pipe. leaned a little more too the right, and saw were it was comin out. i was watching in the side mirror and watched him roll his eyes. had a hard time not laughin at him. but it passed.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i tried several gaskets with my headers and all will leak but the stock mopar ones. I worek at O'reillys and i tried all of our brands and fel-pro was the only good one besides the mopar

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yeah if they do a sniffer test you pretty much have to keep the cats and even then I doont know if it would pass. Here they just plug into the OBDII port and do the check and you're good to go

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^they were suppose to start doing that here too. i have seen the plugs hangin with their computers so i know they can do it. just stuck in their ways i guess.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The closest I've ever gotten to an inspection for my exhaust, was a guy telling me I had a collector bolt come loose on my old truck. I love Texas lol

Ares

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 / 2012 / 2004
Engine
4.7L / 5.7 / 8.3L
Ordering BBK shorties tonight, ceramic coated. Dunno from where yet tho. ? is should i get mopar gaskets from the dealer, or should i use supplied gaskets. And do i use my header bolts or buy aftermarket ones. Thanks guys

Buy new header bolt. I recently had to replace the 2 header /"exhause Manifold" bolt on # 8 cyclendar approx 2 months ago (on a 4.7). I went to the dealership and bought new ones....they laughed when I asked if this is a common occurance. Its very common sooooooo I would strongly advise in buying new ones.

There are 3 types of bolts used on the 4.7 atleast. type 1 (4) are located toward the front. Type 2 (8) are the center 4 bolts. Type 3 (4) are located closest to the firewall.

Ares

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 / 2012 / 2004
Engine
4.7L / 5.7 / 8.3L
For the Gasket I just used the auto zone/Oriely's Fel Pro ones. works fine. If you luky enough... You could reuse the old ones if you dont destroy them. But for 9 bucks for a set, better off buying new ones.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
should i use any kind of thread locker

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the opposite- antiseize compound. You don't want your steel bolts welding themselves to the aluminum block.

As far as inspection stuff, if you have a visual inspection- you'll fail. Apparently in delaware they're supposed to look but they dont (?). Here in VA they definately look. They even made me show them the CARB stamp for my shorties.

Ares

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 / 2012 / 2004
Engine
4.7L / 5.7 / 8.3L
Also I would suggest jacking up the front end and remove both wheels and plastic fender wells for easy access.

Ares

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 / 2012 / 2004
Engine
4.7L / 5.7 / 8.3L
Called the dodge dealership here in Tucson and they told me for the 2004 5.7 there are only 2 types of stud/bolts

PN 6507746AA
PN 6507813AA

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They only look if something comes up funky, like the sniffer thing not being right or if the exhaust is too loud

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Called the dodge dealership here in Tucson and they told me for the 2004 5.7 there are only 2 types of stud/bolts

PN 6507746AA
PN 6507813AA

If you reuse the stock bolts and the stock logs and heat sheild yes there are two differnt size studs, however, the ones they refer to are not different in depth they are in how much they stick out above the logs (aka manifolds). Either use the bolts that come with the kit or the stage 8's, they will all be the same size bolt so no worries as to which one goes where.

weedahoe

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cammed and custom tuned 5.7
Better yet, go to Lowes or some other hardware store and get Grade 8 hardware and save a ton of money.

I used Grade 8s on my Pacesetter LTs and Mopar exh gaskets also

You need (17) 8mm-1.25x25mm bolts

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
i have the gibson ss shorties on my truck and they came with an offroad y pipe new stainless hardware and ginuine mopar gaskets. drove it about 100 miles and retorqed em and havent had any problems whatso ever other than the fuel line being right up against the drivers side header makin the incoming fuel a little too warm for me. gonna fix that when i drop the tranny out in the next week or two and have the y pipe off. ive always had bad luck with exhaust gaskets no matter what its on unless ive used the oem ones so ill never use anything but oem gaskets from now on. the gibsons also came with slotted lower side bolt holes so the bottom four bolts can be threaded into the head a few turns and then slide the flange over the bolts so it holds the header in place while you throw in the top bolts. made it real simple and install in just a few minutes per side. hope it goes easy for you and good luck.