headers, y-pipe, cat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scabrales95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will be getting Pacesetter long tube headers, there's a deal that an offroad y pipe comes with the headers, should I go with that or just get the headers and buy a branded y pipe like magnaflow or flowmaster seperately? Also should I lose the cats or just weld them on to the new ypipe cuz Ive heard these stock cats aren't very restrictive and wouldn't be worth buying hi flow cats to replace them with because there would be close to no extra gains doing so. So anyone with experienced knowledge about this please help!!

mikz86ta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.....I do know late model GM cats flow very well and aew made well. Not sure about Chrysler products but judging from the quality of the rest of my 2014 Ram exhaust....I would say they are well made.
You will get a richer exh odor without cats.
You will not pass emmisions if your state has them.
Expect the exhaust to be a bit louder and diiffer in tone some. Are u ok with that?

Imo.....I never liked pacesetter. Thats my opinion from past experience with them on other vehicles. If they are better made and fit now, and all of the above you are ok with....then would be fine to use the matched y-pipe and header combo. You could add some cats later or weld in the stock ones....if they can work.

Hope this helps

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:waytogo::welcome::pepper: I would opt for the coated headers as they will last longer, also for good fit go with pacesetters Y pipe if you plan to use their headers.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The pacesetters have positive reviews on here and thats what im going to go with when i eventually (key word lol) get around to it. They are not stainless though so get them coated if you live anywhere near winter lol. I also got a quote to ceramic coat the pacesetter y pipe and my local shop said around 100$ IIRC

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Ive had my Pacesetters on for a while now and have had no problems with them at all.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the headers, not a fan of there y pipe tho

mikz86ta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if people here have had good luck with pacesetter headers, then go for it.
My experience was years ago on a 3rd gen Fbody set...trans am.
Coated def helps for longevity and some heat.
Be sure the flanges to heads are thick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado