Headgasket or....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 5.7 1500 4x4
Truck starts right up, but runs rough for about 10 seconds. Seems to be lots of moisture/ condensation in the exhaust for about the first minute. It's going through roughly 1/2 gallon of coolant every couple weeks. Oil looks clean. Truck runs fine outside of that. No leaks or smells. Thoughts?

If it is Head gasket, is there any repairs that could/should be done at the same time? I hear something about springs breaking...

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could possibly be head gaskets. If you end up doing them might as well do new lifters too while your in there. You can do springs while you have the heads of it will make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart.warner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 02 did the same thing had to put new heads on it .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bart.warner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 5.7 1500 4x4
Truck starts right up, but runs rough for about 10 seconds. Seems to be lots of moisture/ condensation in the exhaust for about the first minute. It's going through roughly 1/2 gallon of coolant every couple weeks. Oil looks clean. Truck runs fine outside of that. No leaks or smells. Thoughts?

If it is Head gasket, is there any repairs that could/should be done at the same time? I hear something about springs breaking...
Had to put new heads on my 02 did the same as yours is doing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped it off at the shop yesterday... my wallet is afraid... very afraid...

OP
OP
J

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No word yet... not sure if that's good or bad...

OP
OP
J

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sigh... looks like cracked head. Going to have them do valve springs too.
$3200.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a set of heads on eBay right now for 325 used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... turns out it was only a blown Head Gasket. Took the shop over 3 weeks, but I got my truck back a couple days ago. I had the put in the better Valve springs, as I've read horror stories of the stock springs breaking and dropping in the cylinder killing the engine. The truck definitely had (had... more on that later) a different sound to it. It had a kinda drone.. like there was an obnoxious exhaust on it. Thought maybe I had to break in the springs or something... It seemed to have normal power.

Then a major screw up popped up a couple hours after I had it. Going to start a new thread. Will post a link here shortly.

Link:

http://www.ramforum.com/f50/truck_over_heated_badly_now_what-93641/#post1402438

Last edited: