Help choosing tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered a K&N CAI, and next step I guess is tuner.
So what would you suggest for my `03 4.7L ?
Ive heard superchips are really good. But which one ?
How come DSC is so cheap ?
Let me know what you think.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The DSP can do datalogging and have custom files written for it if you want to pay extra $$$, the Superchips is just a plug and play tuner. Being an 03 you can find an older SC since the trans tuning is not alv to you.

SuperDaytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
InTune 1000 has some issues they are still working out. After I put my cam and heads in, my intune wouldn't read my truck to upload the starter tune. Took an entire morning but it eventually started working.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By DSP you mean DiabloSport ?
I cant seem to find one for 4.7L :/

Other question, forgive my ignorance: I have my check engine light on. It would cost me $80 just to get a diagnostic from a dodge dealer. Is the programmer able to do it ?

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
Sct and have hemifever tune it. I have a superchips3865 and its good has trans option and all, but I may go with a custom from hemifever and a sct soon.

on tapatalk from my GS3....

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're not doing extensive mods, I'd go with a Superchips. See if you can find someone selling a 3815 since you can't do transmission tuning on an 03. It will also read trouble codes and allow you to clear them.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im planing on maybe getting cat back exhaust, and next some 85mm ported TB from Moe`s. (Any other suggestions ?)
So I`d rather get the right one now, instead of changing later. Ive heard Hemifever tune are pretty good.

Another question out of topic, how do you figure out what gears you have on ?

Last edited:

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im planing on maybe getting cat back exhaust, and next some 85mm ported TB from Moe`s. (Any other suggestions ?)
So I`s rather get the right one now, instead of changing later. Ive heard Hemifever tune are pretty good.

Another question out of topic, how do you figure out what gears you have on ?

I don't blame you. No sense in buying another one later.

Do you have the sticker for your truck by chance? If not, go here.
http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/univer...orms/us/webform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

I did that and they emailed me my build sheet within a day or two. I got it on a Sunday even.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the link. Ill send that in tomorrow, see what I come up with.
I bought the car used, but I dont think the guy changed gears.

Another thing is Im not sure if he did change the exhaust system, sounds like it.
Do you have any tips for figuring that one out ?

Are gears hard to change ?

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can hear it in the cab I'd say he probably changed the muffler. OEM mufflers are fairly large also. Are there any tips on the truck?

I've never changed gears so I can't really speak to that. Is your truck 4x4 or 2wd? That'd be something I'd probably pay someone to do, just to have some kind of warranty on the work.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You wont be able to use an 85mm tb. Those are for hemi's plus they're drive by wire(electric) operated as 07 and later 4.7's are still cable operated. The biggest you can go is 72 i believe. There are several options on the tb ie: F&B, Fastman, and a couple others. Some you have to send them your core as a replacement if you are interested i have a stock tb for cheap if interested that way you always have a stock tb on hand while you send yours off to get it ported and polished. Or if you wanted turn the truck back to stock and sell the p&p tb.

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can hear it in the cab I'd say he probably changed the muffler. OEM mufflers are fairly large also. Are there any tips on the truck?

I've never changed gears so I can't really speak to that. Is your truck 4x4 or 2wd? That'd be something I'd probably pay someone to do, just to have some kind of warranty on the work.

The exhaust tip has been changed, I can definitely see that.

I have a 2WD. I think Im better off bringing to the shop

OP
OP
Manutea

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You wont be able to use an 85mm tb. Those are for hemi's plus they're drive by wire(electric) operated as 07 and later 4.7's are still cable operated. The biggest you can go is 72 i believe. There are several options on the tb ie: F&B, Fastman, and a couple others. Some you have to send them your core as a replacement if you are interested i have a stock tb for cheap if interested that way you always have a stock tb on hand while you send yours off to get it ported and polished. Or if you wanted turn the truck back to stock and sell the p&p tb.

I kinda expected that, thank you for confirming.
Theres still some time before I get into the TB mod, but how much would you sell your stock one for ?