Help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2006 dodge 1500 has problems starting, I replaced the battery and the starter. The truck will usually only start once after its been sitting for a while, if I try to restart the truck after I shut it off all I get is a clicking sound, all the lights and radio work fine, the only way I get the truck to restart by taking off the negative terminal on the battery. Any suggestions?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would check the ground connections and cables for corrosion.

OP
OP
F

Fitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All connections and cables are good, possibly an issue with the computer?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check for drain. The best thing to do is with a new battery connect an amp meter in line of either the negative or positive side of the battery. Make sure all lights are off and the truck is off. Disconnect the cable from one side and connect one side of the amp meter to the battery terminal and the other side to the battery wire.

You should have 0.01 or around there in amp draw with everything off. Make sure everything really is off (sometimes radios and stuff stay on for a while after you leave the truck).

If it is higher, pull fuses one by one until it drops down to the acceptable range. Once you find it, check all circuits attached to that fuse.

If it is in range, then this isn't your problem.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I don't have a 07 service manual and what I'm understanding is the battery is not dead. You might look at the IPM and the starter relay specifically.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a 07 service manual and what I'm understanding is the battery is not dead. You might look at the IPM and the starter relay specifically.

Yeah... I read that completely wrong!!! :roflsquared: