HELP! Oil pressure issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattsapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
New here, and I appreciate any help I can get. My 2007 Ram with Hemi 5.7L showed low oil pressure about a month ago. Gauge dropping and coming back, slight knock and engine light on. Towed to mechanic, he replaced crankshaft sensor, changed oil, all good until today. Again, oil pressure gauge dropped, fluctuated, dropped, etc. Check oil, it's fine, not due for another change, no noises. Drive to auto parts store, buy a oil pressure sensor, drive home, and on the drive, check engine light comes on. No noise, running smooth. Get home and swap oil sending unit for the new one, start it up, pressure registers lower than normal (gauge usually past half mark), drive it to auto parts store to get light checked and still fluctuating pressures, only to find a code for bad oil sending unit! I just swapped it.
1) Has anyone had these issues?
2) is it possible to get a bad brand new switch?
Thanks for any input guys and gals! Matt

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles on the engine? I've never heard of a Hemi having actual low oil pressure before. 4.7s yes but not a Hemi.

Yes you could have got a bad sending unit, most of the parts you get at the auto parts chains are cheap Chinese crap. Might want to try allmoparparts.com and get the OEM sending unit. Or there could be something wrong with the wire going to the sending unit...

OP
OP
M

Mattsapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
140,000. This part was made in Mexico, swapping out for another tomorrow that's made in USA. Then we'll see.

mikemartinez2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Similar problem on my 2008 5.9 hemi. Check Gage's light came on, oil pressure gauge at far left (no pressure). Then check engine light came on. Checked oil. It was low. Added oil. Oil full but both lights still on and no oil pressure at idle. Only comes up yo normal range at 3500rpm then drops back to zero at idle... Any thoughts guys?

OP
OP
M

Mattsapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mechanic diagnosed as possible oil pump problem, and maybe bad engine bearings. I'm not throwing money at this ******** anymore. Traded it off!