help solenoid pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2006 5.7 with the 45rfe trans, just got the solenoid pack today in the mail, and can't really find any good info on taking it out and installing. Was told it is pretty easy, but don't have another vehicle in case something goes wrong. So do I just drop the pan and take out the bolts holding it in and there and simply replace and put the pan back on? Is there a gasket or filter I should have, and I read something about having to make a scan with a piece of equipment afterwards??? I got the part for 268 brand new and if its something I can do, it beats giving the dealer a extra 900 bucks. Just want to make sure its as easy as it sounds and I don't need any special tools gaskets or filters.

Thanks looking to get started asap!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will still have to take it to a dealer unless you have a friend with a starscan, starmobile or witech (have to do a quicklearn).

OP
OP
J

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will still have to take it to a dealer unless you have a friend with a starscan, starmobile or witech (have to do a quicklearn).

Thanks, can I go ahead and install the part and just have the dealer do the reset? Will it hurt to do it then drive it to the dealer? Thanks

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disconnected the battery took tuner off it and turn the ignition on while cables off and had no issues afterwards

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, can I go ahead and install the part and just have the dealer do the reset? Will it hurt to do it then drive it to the dealer? Thanks

Depends on how far away it is. If it isn't all that far then it shouldn't hurt it.

I disconnected the battery took tuner off it and turn the ignition on while cables off and had no issues afterwards

That's not a quicklearn, all you're doing is clearing the learned memory. Quicklearn resets the CVI.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Place transmission in park. remove large electrical connector from drivers side of trans, Remove pan, remove filter. remove the 6 10mm head bolts holding the valve body in place. drop the valve body out of the case, remove the 15 torx head screws that hold the solenoid pack to the VB, I believe they are T25 or T30 but I dont remember which.

Install new pack, torque the screws to 50 in/lbs, starting with the ones adjacent to the arrows, then working from top to bottom. Clean off and smear a little vaseline onto all the seals, Re install the valve body into the trans case, torque the bolts to 105 in/lbs. Remove and re install the seal for the primary filter, drive the new one into place with a seal punch or the back of a screwdriver. Install new filter and make sure its fully seated into the seal, install the retaining screw and torque to 40 in/lbs.

Call dodge and schedule an appointment to have the TCM relearn performed, drive it straight there.

OP
OP
J

jmccallie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Place transmission in park. remove large electrical connector from drivers side of trans, Remove pan, remove filter. remove the 6 10mm head bolts holding the valve body in place. drop the valve body out of the case, remove the 15 torx head screws that hold the solenoid pack to the VB, I believe they are T25 or T30 but I dont remember which.

Install new pack, torque the screws to 50 in/lbs, starting with the ones adjacent to the arrows, then working from top to bottom. Clean off and smear a little vaseline onto all the seals, Re install the valve body into the trans case, torque the bolts to 105 in/lbs. Remove and re install the seal for the primary filter, drive the new one into place with a seal punch or the back of a screwdriver. Install new filter and make sure its fully seated into the seal, install the retaining screw and torque to 40 in/lbs.

Call dodge and schedule an appointment to have the TCM relearn performed, drive it straight there.

Thanks, very helpful!

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand that isn't a quick learn. But i had no issues afterwards is what i was saying. You can also use a professional scanner to do a quick learn. in short is was a easy fix

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Download the manual and it has a diagram showing all the bolts locations.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand that isn't a quick learn. But i had no issues afterwards is what i was saying. You can also use a professional scanner to do a quick learn. in short is was a easy fix

Not very many non OEM scantools can do a TCM learn on these trucks. I've worked with a snap on verus, and it was unable to do so. And that's one of the top scanners on the market.

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2006 and I replaced the solenoid pack never took it to the dealer, drives and shifts fine.