Help, truck wont idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yea I have a feeling this is part of the problem it should still get a ground from the bolt to the metal bracket made sure there was bare metal to contact with but I'm thinking its more important as a cab to motor ground not motor to cab and could explain why I don't have a working radio, that's an issue for another day, getting her running is primary.

The heads need to be grounded to the cab to complete the circuit. Putting it to the chassis negates that due to the cab mounts being rubber. Down load the 1981 page service manual and it shows you where all the grounds should be.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
The heads need to be grounded to the cab to complete the circuit. Putting it to the chassis negates that due to the cab mounts being rubber. Down load the 1981 page service manual and it shows you where all the grounds should be.
You wouldnt happen to have a link for that would, and thanks for being patient because i had my head up my butt yesterday of course the rubber CAB bushings would prevent the ground i was thinking the rubber inserts in the control arm. You my friend are a gentleman and a scholar

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
What do you think about just adding another groud strap from passenger head to cab, would the strap to the frame cause interference or just reinforce all the grounds

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
What do you think about just adding another groud strap from passenger head to cab, would the strap to the frame cause interference or just reinforce all the grounds

Yeah you can put one there, I screwed the strap right next to where the cab stud was rusted off, where the original strap went. As for the frame ground, it may or may not be doing anything. You can find the link on this forum, I forget where I found it on here, but it’s definitely on this forum.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No problem, I know it’s very frustrating but you will figure it out, just keep positive dude and good luck bud.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
less than 20 seconds ago · #20

I swapped every fuse out even though they weren't out they were all at least a little burnt, it is running slightly better, I also but in a ground from motor to cab since the ground strap is on the control arm bolt and a b to get off and move I figured another ground can't husrt anyway. Now I am getting p0320 and p1391 I had it running long enough to at least begin to warm up but temp never moved I pulled the alternator to get to the cooling sensor and it was warm to the touch but reading was dead flat, also even though it was slow I could watch the fuel gauge go down. I read that a bad coolant sensor would send -40* to the ecm so it will dump fuel to warm block quickly. This was verified by having to feather the throttle to keep it running. It also seemed like the longer I kept it running the more fuel it was giving the motor. So I am going to change this sensor and see if it helps. I also put the original pcm back in

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Holy crap reading on the ground straps in the fsm (thanks for that,) the damn strap on the 02 goes from both heads to the plenum so I'm betting none of the the sensors in the plenum are reading right gonna add another ground beside throttle body to firewall and see what we get

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I figured you knew that the straps went from the left head to the right head to the plenum/firewall. I didn’t know a faulty coolant sensor would cause that, good find. I would put the straps where their supposed to be just to be sure ya know, it’s a pita but it can be done without removing valve covers. Use a long exstention with a swivel socket.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok so we have 2 plenums because the lower intake is also called the plenum and so i thought i missed something there.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
No you didn’t miss anything, people call things differently then others, idk. Where the straps go though, I call the firewall. The intake, I call it a plastic intake manifold. I can take a pic of where I have my straps if you would like. Let me know.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
The part the plastic intake bolts through is called the plenum sometimes lower intake and dodge is calling the firewall where the strap goes the plenum also it was a little confusing at first. Mainly because the fsm gives a pic of the strap on the heads backed away so you can see its position clearly then a zoomed in view of the other end that makes it more difficult to pin point its exact location on the firewall

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Where are you buying your sensors? If your getting them from a chain store,I.e. az,aa,etc. their sensors are very hit or miss, I just had to replace three faulty sensors that were bought less than six months ago, bwd,wells,duralast. So just be sure that your “new” sensors are actually working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Yea, AutoZone and Amazon, I try to only buy ones with good reviews but you know shoot and miss. I am fairly certain that they are ok the iac and map I got are Mopar. I have had to replace the tps already. If I don't get results from changing the coolant temperature sensor then I will try new crank and cam sensors again. When I pulled it out it was warm to the touch so the gauge should have been moving a little bit.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Weather was finally nice yesterday but now im having to wait for unemploymemt to kick in, dont you love how a company doesnt have to give you any notice but when you file for unemploymemt they get 3 weeks to reply to the claim. They let me go they should have to jave everything ready within 48 hours of letting me go. Sorry rant over but no between the rain and now this no luck at all.

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
O yeah I've got 2 interviews tomorrow, so here's hoping

OP
OP
M

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok replaced the coolant temperature sensor and it idle for about 20 seconds then died so now I'm gonna replace crank sensor again just to rule it out since I am still getting the p1391