Hemi MPG/tire size questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bolski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just bought a 2006 1500 mega cab with HEMI. Its has what seems to be about a 2 inch lift or leveling kit and 285/70/17 cooper AT tires. Few questions. 1- Will this size tire affect mileage much? I got around 12.5-13 mpg on way home and getting around 10.5 now just putting back roads. I understand its a larger motor and wont get the best mileage but damn. 2- The exhaust is a head scratcher too, over the rear axle seems to be a smaller muffler Is this normal or a add on from previous owner? The truck is quiet for sure( half as loud as my old 4.7). What are some things I can do to help improve mileage? Oil change, plugs is what Im thinking along with intake clean up. Thanks for any advice or answers.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a 2" lift and 285/70s puts it right at stock powerwagon height / tire size.
That's not too extreme on either end.

Getting 12-13 is about what I'm getting in my '13 if I try to do 80 MPH, or around town.
If I'm easy on 'er and keep it below 70, I can get almost 18 mpg. Pretty impressive for a crew cab 2500 4x4 IMO.

The exhaust sounds stock, I know I have a resonator above the axle.

Changing over to a good oil (I run synthetic personally) and a set of plugs could make a HUGE difference (like 2 MPG!) And lets be honest. 14 is WAY better than 12. Stick with stock NGK plugs for it, and don't be afraid to use a touch of anti-seize on the threads.

OP
OP
B

bolski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think a little tune up will help. I assume the resonator is supposed to be there? Did ypu take it off?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know my '11 Hemi was starting to feel less than perfect around 30k, slapped new plugs in it and it was back to normal, and my MPGs went up about 1 MPG. (I have a log for every fill up, I follow it pretty closely)

Yes, the resonator should be there. I haven't touched my exhaust, yet.