HEMI shakes! Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought a 2008 ram 1500hemi 5.7 2wd. It had 80k miles when I got it and now has 108,000. The truck has never given me any problems until now. When I'm driving I get a bad shake from what seems to be the engine. It's gradually gotten worse. It mostly happens on the highway when going over an overpass or a tall bridge when I'm trying to maintain speed the point before it downshifts it will start shaking like crazy. Any ideas?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought a 2008 ram 1500hemi 5.7 2wd. It had 80k miles when I got it and now has 108,000. The truck has never given me any problems until now. When I'm driving I get a bad shake from what seems to be the engine. It's gradually gotten worse. It mostly happens on the highway when going over an overpass or a tall bridge when I'm trying to maintain speed the point before it downshifts it will start shaking like crazy. Any ideas?
Have you checked the engine mounts?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Fredbearhunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your track bar & bushings. Can you move it?

Than check your upper & lower ball joints, wheel bearing and sway bar.

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It really seems to come from the engine and not the front end. I checked the u-joints and they feel tight. I go over a very tall bridge every day. I have to stomp the gas to make it downshift and it's OK. If I don't and I just give it a little gas to maintain speed it kind of bogs down and then shakes pretty bad. If it were the mounts I think it would shake when I stomp it not when I baby it

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe it's a timing problem? I had a 04 f150 that had that ****** triton v8 and it kind of reminds me of it when I had cam phaser problems. But I. Not sure if the hemi has cam phasers and all that mess

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
High load Low Rpm makes me think timing or spark issue.

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A buddy of mine has a small repair shop and he hooked it up to his computer and didn't get a single code. He said that's odd because almost every vehicle will have at least something showing. But it seems like this would throw some sort of code right? I just want to fix it before it causes something bad to happen. It's getting much more frequent

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. Check your throttle body. Is it clean?

2. Replace the EGR valve. Normally these throw a code but one that is marginal will cause an acceleration "stumble".

3. When were the plugs last changed? Check them, at least a few of them, to see what condition they are in and what the gap is.

4. Have you treated the fuel system to any cleaner? It might need a top end clean with some Seafoam through the intake and some fuel treatment to clean the injectors.

5. Lastly, check the timing.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Last week I removed throttle body and cleaned it til it looked new. Did plugs around 100,00 miles, put in Lucas fuel treatment last fill up but haven't tried seafoam. Thinking maybe timing issue since it has 108k miles. What would that consist of?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Next time you go over the bridge put it in tow/haul to disable the MDS and see if it still shakes.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had issues with my MDS vibrating at lower speed.. mostly around 35. It got pretty strong sometimes, with that disabled now it never does it.

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought it was MDS related at first so I put it in tow mode and it still did it. I really appreciate the suggestions guys. Does anyone know alot about the timing system on these HEMIs? I keep thinking it may have to do with that

Blue_Smoke13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Timing and spark plugs should create ticks and misfires.
Spark plugs would also shrug to one side. But they are cheap and easy, so I'd take a gander.

Shaking, to me, means mounts. I've pulled an engine mount off that looked fine under visual inspection, but fell apart as soon as it was unbolted.

chooch79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it a possible transmission or torque converter issue? How does you tranny fluid look/smell? I have heard of water getting in a tranny and causing similar issues.

OP
OP
Bighorn08

Bighorn08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have started to think it may be a torque converter issue. I've never had one go out on me so I'm not really sure what to look for. How does one act when it's going out?

chooch79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would start with the cheapest solution to most transmission issues... Change fluid/filter. This will also give you a chance to check the pan for an excessive amount of debris or shavings. If the condition persists after the filter/fluid change then continue down the troubleshooting path. Torque converters, depending on what is going out inside it could have several symptoms; slipping, shuddering, overheating, debris in the pan, or funky sounds. It can be hard to distinguish the torque converter with the tranny most of the time. Maybe a transmission expert could better help.