The "Hemi tick"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
i have been researching this a lot lately... i noticed my truck has a ticking sound on a cold start up after its been sitting all night... it does go away pretty fast but its very noticeable at first start up for maybe 2 minutes or less...

i have had my exhaust and exhaust manifold bolts checked and there ok so its not a leak.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What oil/filter are you running? Did it just start happening?

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
What oil/filter are you running? Did it just start happening?

I have had the truck about a year in a half now.. first few oil changes were free at the dealer. not sure on the brand they put... i started using jiffy lube but i wasn't happy with their service so the last time i had my oil changed a mechanic friend did it for me... not sure what he used i can't remember... the tick has been their for a few months now but i do believe its gotten less noisy.. or and goes away after warm up quicker after my mechanic did the oil change.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
i have been researching this a lot lately... i noticed my truck has a ticking sound on a cold start up after its been sitting all night... it does go away pretty fast but its very noticeable at first start up for maybe 2 minutes or less...

i have had my exhaust and exhaust manifold bolts checked and there ok so its not a leak.

Ok, i was wrong i did some serious looking around and on the manifold bolts there is a very hard to see bolt on each side in the back and its broken on each side...

is the exhaust manifold repair done under recall or some kind of warranty? my truck has about 106k miles on it just a little under...

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok, i was wrong i did some serious looking around and on the manifold bolts there is a very hard to see bolt on each side in the back and its broken on each side...

is the exhaust manifold repair done under recall or some kind of warranty? my truck has about 106k miles on it just a little under...

more then likely not covered under anything. as long as there is a little bit of the threads sticking out its not a bad job. take the wheels and wheel wells off. put a vice grip on the bolts and back them out. install new bolts. could be done in an hour or two.

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
I have had the truck about a year in a half now.. first few oil changes were free at the dealer. not sure on the brand they put... i started using jiffy lube but i wasn't happy with their service so the last time i had my oil changed a mechanic friend did it for me... not sure what he used i can't remember... the tick has been their for a few months now but i do believe its gotten less noisy.. or and goes away after warm up quicker after my mechanic did the oil change.

You should really be paying more attention to what is out in your truck.