hesitation on light throttle when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
after truck has been sitting overnight, I can start it fine but when I give it light acceleration while its cold it hesitates and surges. I have a cold air intake and the temperature here is -20 c, would my cold air intake be causing this?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Mine is still acting the same as yours, bogging down and losing power around 3000 rpm when the engine is cold and worse on the colder days. My intake is still stock. I was going to try grounding and resetting my TB to see if that helps. I was also thinking about replacing the IAT sensor. If I figure anything out I can let you know.

OP
OP
MossyOakRam

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I noticed my iat sensor was a lil black i cleaned it a bit and i took my cold air intake off and went back to stock. Gonna see if that helps in the cold

repsol83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine is doing the same thing...

It is not throwing any codes. I unhooked the battery for 20 min, re hooked it up and the problem disappeared for about a week, but started doing it again this morning.

OP
OP
MossyOakRam

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When i put the stock intake on i disconnected the battery and drove it and it was fine for a few days but its back. And the weather is getting warmer and its still doing

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Started mine this morning, 34°F outside and it bogged down a little as usual until the engine warmed up. Left work and at 54°F it acted completely normal. I've been working on my other truck so I haven't done anything with it yet.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mind you I have a 4.7L, but even at 0°F it starts and purs like a kitten with no hesitations or misses and idles very nicely.

When the truck's sensors (mainly O2) are below a certain threshold temp the PCM operates in a closed loop fashion sending a predefined approximate air/fuel ratio to the engine based almost exclusively on the TPS. Once the upstream O2 heats up, then the system goes into open mode and the calibrates the Air/Fuel ratio based on the readings from the upstream O2 sensor. The sensor may be fine, but the upstream on our trucks have a heating unit built in so the sensor can be taken up to operating temp faster so the system can switch to open loop mode. If the heated part of the O2 has failed, the system may think after the set delay that it can switch to open mode, but since the O2 is not warmed up enough it can act strangely causing those misses and surges as the O2 is actually struggling to provide the expected reading.

I would definitely look at the upstream O2 sensor. It may not have failed completely but if the heating element is fried it could be enough to explain the symptoms you both are experiencing.

It could also be that the actuall cabling to the O2 has gone bad, and that fixing the wiring can get everything back up to properly working. That being said you can get a new upstream O2 for less than 40$ and it takes a few minutes to replace, which can be done in your driveway provided you have an O2 socket. Also I found that the best tool to remove the upstream O2 is a flexible head long reach ratchet with a "Crow's Foot" like O2 socket. Both can be found at a local Harbor Freight for under 30$.

If ever the O2 is not the cause you will then have a more responsive truck, and maybe a few more MPG's in process. Not a bad investment from my perspective...

My 2 cents

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When's the last time you replaced the spark plugs?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wasnt it you with the funky throttle body? Did you ever get that fixed? It could cause that as well i believe.

OP
OP
MossyOakRam

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was getting throttle control light on dash. Got a brand new throttle body. And in the cold i still got a ETC light with 2 codes

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956