How much oil does your hemi burn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I'll switch to the 5w20 for the winter, already in November it's been below 15 degrees many days. Too cold too early haha.

Yeah, in my area a shop I called even asked if I bought a junk battery from this particular store.. So not good if I'm hearing bad things but it should be under warranty so not worried there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well what NY is bringing to the table is very interesting...

Tolson if don't need the seals conditioned it might not be required to use a High Mileage oil then, but would definitely give a shot at one of the High detergent oil to clean out the oil passages. Also you can try 5W20 instead of 5W30. Being in Northern MN you will see a big difference on Dead Cold start... Being from Montreal we are about at the same Parallel and we know what a cold winter morning can be like.
Not to be that guy but you would see zero difference using a 5w-20 instead of a 5w-30 in the cold. Part of the reason oil is confusing to people is these numbers get mixed up.
You can pick any number for the first part 0w,5w,10w and you should indeed choose based on where you drive but most areas and at some point this will be very common place I would choose the 0w no matter the place you live. It will shine the most in very cold areas however. The second number 20,30,40 is the number you should stick to what it says on oil cap or what is recommended. The manufacturer picked that oil because it is great at operating temps for that engine.

To summarize. Cold weather pick 0w-20 or 0w-30 depending on what was recommended i.e. use 0w-20 in a Ram that came with 5w-20 and 0w-30 in Ram that came with 5w-30.

0W oils usually are the very best oils made by the brand and tests prove that. The 0W provides the very best cold startups which even if you live in Florida and gets down to let's say 30F it will still protect the best on startup which is where most wear occurs even on a perfectly functioning engine.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also with batteries don't get too caught up in hype of what brand is good. Most batteries are made by three companies. There is some others but the main three make all the generic and random brands out there. Eastpenn/Dekka, Johnson controls and Exude make nearly all of them if the caps on the battery have angle corners it is a JC. The others are a little harder to tell but if you put up a pic of the battery I can probably tell who made it. Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls and what you pay more for there is a good long warranty.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also with batteries don't get too caught up in hype of what brand is good. Most batteries are made by three companies. There is some others but the main three make all the generic and random brands out there. Eastpenn/Dekka, Johnson controls and Exude make nearly all of them if the caps on the battery have angle corners it is a JC. The others are a little harder to tell but if you put up a pic of the battery I can probably tell who made it. Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls and what you pay more for there is a good long warranty.
That may be true... but the price of interstate out weighs the junk AutoZone sells regardless who makes which.

Duralast = dura TRASH

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Duralast is the same as interstate as far as the supplier but they might be a different recipe.

Back to oil sorry for derail.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not to be that guy but you would see zero difference using a 5w-20 instead of a 5w-30 in the cold. Part of the reason oil is confusing to people is these numbers get mixed up.
You can pick any number for the first part 0w,5w,10w and you should indeed choose based on where you drive but most areas and at some point this will be very common place I would choose the 0w no matter the place you live. It will shine the most in very cold areas however. The second number 20,30,40 is the number you should stick to what it says on oil cap or what is recommended. The manufacturer picked that oil because it is great at operating temps for that engine.

To summarize. Cold weather pick 0w-20 or 0w-30 depending on what was recommended i.e. use 0w-20 in a Ram that came with 5w-20 and 0w-30 in Ram that came with 5w-30.

0W oils usually are the very best oils made by the brand and tests prove that. The 0W provides the very best cold startups which even if you live in Florida and gets down to let's say 30F it will still protect the best on startup which is where most wear occurs even on a perfectly functioning engine.

This! I was about to be that guy but you got here first :p

everettebleejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I change my oil every 3,000 miles and have never had to add oil. 130,000 miles