howling or whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
recently i have started to hear a whining or housing noise when i accelerate or coast around 35-45 mph... this is where its weird.. if i kind get on the ges and drive up past 45 mph not a sound but the engine... if i drive slow past for i kinda hear it... if i am coasting say the speed limits 40 and I'm do 38-42 i hear it... step on the gas up to 50-55 and its gone... now i haven't really heard it at higher speeds but can't e sure because of road and wind noise.

i just had the truck into my mechanic for a radiator repair and new brakes and roars on the front end and cv axel seal... i out any of those are the noise because i hear it from the engine bay when driving it... sounds kinda on the top. possible from between the middle of the truck and toward the passenger side. the first time i noticed this sound was the night i picked it up after that work.. maybe its just something simple like a hose or something not all the way on..?

any ideas what it could be...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
It might help if you included some information about your truck. Read about diagnosing pinion bearing noise.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
It might help if you included some information about your truck. Read about diagnosing pinion bearing noise.

sorry about that.. its a 2008 dodge ram 1500. 4x4... i think i found it... i was reading some people had a lose bracket and bolt for the transmission cooler lines and had to add some foam by the bolt.. i couldn't find any bolt holding them on but i think they normally bolt and clip to the radiator.. i just had mine replaced and remember noticed it had some hooks for the cooler lines that were not completely in but because of the design could be in the hook completely.. i added some pipe foam around the lines in that area and the noise reduced about 90%

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Howling and whining is usually not associated with a loose bracket.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
First I've heard of it, if it works go with it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Whatever works. I was gonna ask where did it sound like it was coming from. If it was up front I was going to say check the alternator, I had a bearing start singing on me years back. If it sounded like the back, then I would agree with Greg and look at the pinion (or any of the rear) bearings.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Whatever works. I was gonna ask where did it sound like it was coming from. If it was up front I was going to say check the alternator, I had a bearing start singing on me years back. If it sounded like the back, then I would agree with Greg and look at the pinion (or any of the rear) bearings.

sounds like it was coming from the engine... or engine bay somewhere under the hood towards the top...

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Towards the top points right to the alternator...

thats one of the first things that i thought of but I've had auto zone and oreilly auto parts check battery and alternator and they say its good...

and i only hear the noise around 40 mph and lower rpm. like when I'm cruising at 40 not getting on the gas

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You can try to pinpoint the sound. I like to use a transmission funnel or some members use a small length of garden hose. Hold one end to you ear and point the other at the different pulleys. You could also take the belt off and spin the idler pulleys by hand. If they are loose, wobbly or rattle that could be where the whinning noise is coming from.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
You can try to pinpoint the sound. I like to use a transmission funnel or some members use a small length of garden hose. Hold one end to you ear and point the other at the different pulleys. You could also take the belt off and spin the idler pulleys by hand. If they are loose, wobbly or rattle that could be where the whinning noise is coming from.

that would be pretty difficult being i only hear the noise when driving at cruise 38-42 mph and lower rpms

I'm pretty sure it was coming from my transmission cooler lines... i just had my radiator replaced and i heard the noise right after. idk if they had to disconnect those lines to remove the radiator or what?? i put foam pipe insulation over the lines and the noise reduced about 90 percent. before it was hearable over radio at normal volume... now only hearable wit the radio off and i really really have to listen to it....

my concern is is having the lines insulated like that a bad thing? i don't want to cause anything to overheat...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Yeah, that would be a little difficult wouldn't it lol. I thought you still had a noise or that the noise came back, my mistake. I wouldn't think that a few inches of insulation would make a difference. Maybe if you post a pic you can get some more opinions on it.

randombb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar problem. I recently had the track bar on my 1998 ram 1500, had the front end realigned and developed a whine that comes in at exactly 35mph. I replaced the tires to see if they had taken a wear set, but it still persists. I had one guy tell me it was my carrier bearing going out. Funny my truck has no carrier bearing????

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a similar problem. I recently had the track bar on my 1998 ram 1500, had the front end realigned and developed a whine that comes in at exactly 35mph. I replaced the tires to see if they had taken a wear set, but it still persists. I had one guy tell me it was my carrier bearing going out. Funny my truck has no carrier bearing????

Carrier bearings in the differential!

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Open rear sliding window and see if the howl/whine is more noticeable. Dollars to donuts it’s the rear pinion/wheel bearings,