I think my HEMI is burning synthetic oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, I decided to check my oil today since it was a nice day out and I'm due for an oil change in another 2000 kms. Come to find out, my dip stick was reading very low, just below the add oil mark! Not a good sign.. I have been getting regular oil changes at the mechanics recommended 10,000 intervals.
I have been using Casterol Full synthetic and WIX filters. I had a Dodge tech look over my truck and scan it prior to my build, and recall him mentioning how great the engine condition was.
Last time prior to this incident I checked the oil after around 8,500 kms, it was down about 1L. Truck doesn't smoke, no blow by, no oil drip spots, nothing.. Is this a normal thing with a HEMI using full synthetic? Could the cold weather be a variable? This is my first performance type engine and also my first engine using synthetic.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I need to use High Mileage oil on my 98 5.2l Dakota to avoid oil leaks and burning.
You may give that a try!
Chris

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old VW didn't like Mobil 1. It used to burn a quart every 4-5000. I switched out to some European blend with different additives and it didn't even burn enough to tell on the dipstick after 10,000. I even ran 5-40 Mobil 1 over the 0-40 European blend and it still burned it somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What oil do you guys recommend? I don't really want to spend a ton on Royal Purple, plus it's kind of hard to get where I am at. The previous owner always used Casterol Edge Synthetic, 5W20, so thats what I've just been using. Should I possibly switch up the weight as well? I've read that a lot of people's HEMI's don't like the Mobil 1. I've asked a few of my third gen friends and they all think that my situation is NOT normal. They hardly burn any oil, and figured that my valve seals could be going. I've had engines use oil before, but not this much, especially to be considered normal.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think a lot of people like penzoil platinum. That's what I'm looking at switching to. You can run 5:30 according to quite a few people. I may switch as well. But 5:20 should be fine

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's serious. Mines always burned oil since I've had it. Probably a tad worse than when I bought it but 7 years I'm not complaining. My truck will burn about 3qts in about 5-6k miles, I've thought about running a redline or royal purple one time but 10qts ain't cheap lol.

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A lot of modern engines burn oil between changes. Hell, Porsche motors have been doing it for years as well as BMW. They both tell owners to check oil weekly. Just the nature of the beast. Shorter trips will burn more than longer trips. Really not a big deal just check your oil

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesn't burn more than .5 of a quart over the course of 5,000 miles when driven normal. If I drive it like a race car, then it'll burn a quart or more.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think a lot of people like penzoil platinum. That's what I'm looking at switching to. You can run 5:30 according to quite a few people. I may switch as well. But 5:20 should be fine

It will be. Only reason OEM went to 5W20 that year is because they wanted the same oil for all the 5.7's and 05 was the year the LX platform came out with the MDS 5.7 (which does require 5W20 to function properly). Specified oil for the 5.7 in the Rams for 03-04 was 5W30 and the 05 1500 engine is no different.

OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could Synthetic be causing the oil to burn more? I was told by a few to switch to Royal Purple, but I don't want to spend a lot on oil, if it's no difference between my Synthetic Edge. I was also thinking of switching the weight to 5w30 as well.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know that the synthetic is causing it, what I have noticed if you flog a hemi it will burn oil lol

Ram1500hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any modern car that is not boosted burning oil is just craziness to me.

You have all the technology and money in the world, you charge us an arm and a leg for these pieces of crap, and you can't stop them from burning oil? I just went to the auto show and the new hemi trucks fully loaded are 70k. 70k! That's a cheap house! And you can't keep it from burning oil?

Complete bs.

Then bmw and porsche? Those cars actually do cost a nice house. Can't stop it from burning oil. What a joke.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know that the synthetic is causing it, what I have noticed if you flog a hemi it will burn oil lol

I had a ecoboost f150 riding my ass at night so I just hit it an all I could see from the f150 headlights was smoke trailing from my bed, never realized it was that bad...

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you being serious or joking?

How could this be?

The GM twins were the same way on the 07-13 motors. Not sure about the newer engines. It was because the engine would use oil during cylinder deactivation

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I decided to check my oil today since it was a nice day out and I'm due for an oil change in another 2000 kms. Come to find out, my dip stick was reading very low, just below the add oil mark! Not a good sign.. I have been getting regular oil changes at the mechanics recommended 10,000 intervals.
I have been using Casterol Full synthetic and WIX filters. I had a Dodge tech look over my truck and scan it prior to my build, and recall him mentioning how great the engine condition was.
Last time prior to this incident I checked the oil after around 8,500 kms, it was down about 1L. Truck doesn't smoke, no blow by, no oil drip spots, nothing.. Is this a normal thing with a HEMI using full synthetic? Could the cold weather be a variable? This is my first performance type engine and also my first engine using synthetic.

First of all if your mechanic is telling you to change the oil every 10,000 miles I would find another mechanic.