I think my HEMI is burning synthetic oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
10,000 with full synthetic is OK for non-high performance driving. I have a friend that works at an oil analysis lab and we checked my oil every 1000 miles starting at 5000 miles and I ended up changing it at 10k because I was nervous about it, but the oil showed no signs of breakdown and the contaminants reading was moderate at 10k.

They do the oil analysis for commercial vehicles that get 70k + miles a year and if the companies did oil changes every 3000-5000 miles, they would go broke, so they take oil samples every few thousand miles and change them when the oil says it needs it. He said he's seen 4.6L Crown Vics with 300k miles on them that go 15-18k before they require an oil change.

I've started changing mine every 7500-8000 miles on my cars that don't have a warranty. I have to stick to the manufacturer recommended oil changes on my 2 that are still under warranty just in case something happens to them.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No offense gentlemen but you sound like little babies. It's been explained why most Hemis use oil but that's not enough. Do you think people who spend 200-300k on ferraris or lambos or the M series BMWs complain?! Seriously it's not that big of a deal and there is nothing wrong with it. Unless your truck is puffing blue smoke and going thru an excessive amount it's completely normal. They use ring packs that have a lower friction rate against the bore to reduce the drag on the motor and thus create a higher efficiency rating. Something like 20-30% less friction in the ring packs is significant. Don't like it? Sell your new 50k truck and go buy an old gas truck and get 10mpg on a good day. The Hemi is considered a high performance motor and on top of the above reasoning, it's normal to burn oil in heavy use.
Sorry to go off on tangent but damn, it seems everyone wants the best with no "downfalls" but that's just not possible

Ram1500hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No offense gentlemen but you sound like little babies. It's been explained why most Hemis use oil but that's not enough. Do you think people who spend 200-300k on ferraris or lambos or the M series BMWs complain?! Seriously it's not that big of a deal and there is nothing wrong with it. Unless your truck is puffing blue smoke and going thru an excessive amount it's completely normal. They use ring packs that have a lower friction rate against the bore to reduce the drag on the motor and thus create a higher efficiency rating. Something like 20-30% less friction in the ring packs is significant. Don't like it? Sell your new 50k truck and go buy an old gas truck and get 10mpg on a good day. The Hemi is considered a high performance motor and on top of the above reasoning, it's normal to burn oil in heavy use.
Sorry to go off on tangent but damn, it seems everyone wants the best with no "downfalls" but that's just not possible

Silence britney

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Silence britney

No Britney here. Just a realist. Obviously you have ZERO understanding of engines or you'd realize it's quite common and nothing new. Go buy a honda or some econo pos. No one wants to hear how you think it's crazy engines burn small amounts of oil.

Last edited:

Ram1500hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No Britney here. Just a realist. Obviously you have ZERO understanding of engines or you'd realize it's quite common and nothing new. Go buy a honda or some econo pos. No one wants to hear how you think it's crazy engines burn small amounts of oil.

I have forgotten more about cars and bikes than you'll ever know.

The wheels on my car cost more than your car.

Britney.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have forgotten more about cars and bikes than you'll ever know.

The wheels on my car cost more than your car.

Britney.

THAT is the funniest **** I've seen this morning LMAO, thank you for the laugh young'n.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I'm amateur Britney?! At least it's before she went crazy.

Hey this was fun [emoji1596]

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm just having fun with it now haha but I'm done here, he wins cause I'm sure he'll have something else smart to say