I think my HEMI is burning synthetic oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been in the automotive industry for 25 years. As another poster stated, many cars burn oil between changes. Here is the secret. Regardless of what you hear or read, real world results show that this started when manufacturers started recommending longer intervals between oil changes. Even if you use synthetic oil, why would you try to save $80 to $160 a year when you spent 40, 50 or 60k on your truck. Doesn't make sense to me. I have a 10 year old foreign car and the oil level is always right where it was when I did the oil change every single time. No oil consumption at all. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been in the automotive industry for 25 years. As another poster stated, many cars burn oil between changes. Here is the secret. Regardless of what you hear or read, real world results show that this started when manufacturers started recommending longer intervals between oil changes. Even if you use synthetic oil, why would you try to save $80 to $160 a year when you spent 40, 50 or 60k on your truck. Doesn't make sense to me. I have a 10 year old foreign car and the oil level is always right where it was when I did the oil change every single time. No oil consumption at all. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2. No engine should burn oil. If it does, it should be so little that it is not noticeable between oil change intervals. The automotive industry does a cost benefit analysis and determines that if the engine burns less than X between oil changes, the chances of damage to the engine is minimal vs the cost to repair. They look at the risk of lawsuits from this potential damage to engines if they do not fix the burning issue. They determined that if y number of customers sue/leave their future potential sales, it still costs less than repairing all these engines with oil consumption issues.

My Audi used to burn a quart of oil between oil changes. They did an oil consumption test, and it was over their "limit", they rebuilt my engine, and now the oil level doesn't change between the 5k mile oil change intervals. So, if they can rebuild it correctly, it is obvious that the engine design is not the issue, it is manufacturing (assembly or parts).

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I found out why my truck was burning oil!!

I kept at it and did some research because i know my engine is like new and that amount of oil consumption was not normal, and I was told by my Dodge tech to check my PCV valve. Took my engine cover off and noticed my throttle body was saturated with oil, and my PCV valve was not working. I changed it and the truck has no more codes, Immediate power difference and throttle response and no oil is being burned. I also switched to Royal Purple from Casterol edge synthetic.

Old thread but if you have this issue check into the PCV valve!

SteelerRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. I just found this thread after realizing how much oil my truck was burning and I’m checking that PCV valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk