idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I been having this problem with my truck idleing high then low then leveling off when I come to stops and sometimes it stalls and the other day I went out to start it and it ran for like 2 seconds then died and the only way to keep it running was to give it gas for a bit
I have replaced the idle control valve today and it running but it still idles funny when coming to a stop

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What codes does it read? If it's stalling out that often there should be a code logged.

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really don't stall that often just a c ouple of times but as far as codes all it says is done when I turn the key 3 times

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
has it just been a recent thing or an on going issue? If its recent it could be due to it getting colder out. May want to pull the battery for about 10min or so to reset the computer and then run it for a while to relearn.

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will give that a try but its been doing it for a few months now

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could it be the tps sensor

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
It could be, or even the front O2's going out as they determine the Fuel mix, adding more gas or not enough could cause the issue very easily.

Personally I like to do the bare minimum checks before dumping money into parts that "might" fix the issue. Doing a PCM reset costs you nothing, and may cause a code to be visible if there is one lingering or on the verge of showing.

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks for the help I will try and reset first and go from there I will let know what happened

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found out somthing weird why would my truck idle high by turning the steering wheel back and fourth then idle down when I stop

OP
OP
M

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I reset the pcm and still no code so then I went ahead and replaced the tps still idle that didn't work neither so I check the trans fluid it was half a court low so I topped it off problem sloved. Still I don't know why it idles high when I turn the wheel back and fourth

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
So I reset the pcm and still no code so then I went ahead and replaced the tps still idle that didn't work neither so I check the trans fluid it was half a court low so I topped it off problem sloved. Still I don't know why it idles high when I turn the wheel back and fourth

That was the essence of the "high idle " mod I used. There is a switch on the power steering pump when the switch senses high pressure during a parking maneuver it opens the switch. This sense tells the PCM to raise the idle. ;)

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Glad you got it figured out. Sometimes its the things we least suspect that cause the issues.

Just be sure you didnt overfill the trans, that can cause some issues as well.