Ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kewpie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put in a new switch, same results, full dash and no start. It does not turn over, just a loud click. As a side note, my chimes come on whenever the door opens, even with no keys in the ignition. Any ideas?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is the click coming from the starter? if so it probably needs a starter, without getting into connection or voltage drop problems.
Your ignition chime is likely unrelated

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Try another known good battery. I had largely the same issue this afternoon; my truck started in the morning but this afternoon it didn't. I did a few things to troubleshoot and got a battery from a machine. It fired right up.

OP
OP
kewpie79

kewpie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Odd notes, when foot brake on, engine will click when trying to start, when the brake is released, no click. Also, can shift without putting foot on the brake.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
This is an automatic? Is there some shifter interlock on the ignition circuit that might be the issue(I have a NV4500, so IDK)? If so, maybe it's that or the starter relay. Beyond, that, it's getting outside my knowledge.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
have an assistant try and start it with you under the truck. is the click coming from the starter?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Have you tried to start the truck in neutral? All connections tight? I know simple question's but when frustrated we miss stuff ! Post up what you find please

OP
OP
kewpie79

kewpie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Click is coming from starter. Will not start in neutral. Only thing left is the neutral safety switch?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the starter is clicking you have a voltage drop problem . Could either be on the battery + side or ground side.
Try running jumper cable from battery negative to starter body, then try starting with the ignition switch

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Click is coming from starter. Will not start in neutral. Only thing left is the neutral safety switch?
Another thought and you gear heads will know better. if it is coming from the starter could it be the starter solenoid ? Can someone rap on the starter with a hammer while trying to start the truck ? We had a truck at the auction that had that done and it started, guess jolted the bad starter? New starters can be bad, Have you removed the New starter and tried it off the truck to be sure it works and is not jammed in the
motor ? Just a though from a Non gear head.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kewpie79

kewpie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer picked up the truck (tow) to try to fix before I could try anything

OP
OP
kewpie79

kewpie79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer said it was loose ground strap, but I knew I tightened that. They got the truck started but can't turn it off. Suggestions?