Increasing MPGs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

butters90

Reaction score
Stationed: Scott AFB, IL Hometown: Fairfield, MT
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I searched the forum but nothing specific would come up so I decided to create a thread for this.

What parts have you put on your truck to increase MPG? If you dont mind; what was the cost? Was it well worth it? How much of an increase was it? Can you install the item yourself? was it an easy install?

figured since most of our trucks are gas guzzlers that this would be a great and helpful thread!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Autotrader.com - 92-97 Honda Civic Manual Transmission

Haha! Want better MPG, put your truck back to stock, put on narrow tall tires on aluminum 16x6 wheels and block off 80% of your grill.

Trucks aren't for MPGs.

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 CC 4x4 hemi and I'm avg 15.7 on E10
I'm happy with that
What do you expect?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
If I want mpg we take my wife's Kia. Damn trucks too much fun to try and get mpg with. All or nothing

OP
OP
butters90

butters90

Reaction score
Stationed: Scott AFB, IL Hometown: Fairfield, MT
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I wasnt talking about me... if i was really worried about gas milage i would have bought a geo metro. I just didnt see any threads with this specific information on increasing MPGs so thought i would create one since i know people are always looking at trying to save some money in the long run.

Last edited:

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basic bolt ons such as a cold air intake ($300), muffler ($200), tuner ($500) will all help a little, 1-3 mpg if you combine all of them. Youd prob have to drive 20000 miles to get your money back though. All that also makes the truck more fun to drive so if your like me, mileage goes down, way down lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Keep up with tune ups, tire pressure, synthetic fluids, and a tuner WITHOUT your foot in it will all help.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You could do H/O cams and 08 intake swap if you can find the cams. Depends on $$ you want to spend. A few of us on here with the 5.7 with cam/head ect put up better mpgs then a stock truck with a good chunk more HP.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
There are a few things that can increase MPG, but none give massive increases. You can expect maybe 3-6 mpg through bolt-ons. Here are a few that can help that are DIY:
Fresh Air intake: there are several companies out there that make them for all of Dodge's trucks, most reliable and known ones are: K&N, and Volant.

Free flowing Exhaust: this is a sticky one seeing as there are tons of manufacturers that make cat back exhaust systems. Plus not everyone wants to sound like a douche when going through town.

Throttle Body Spacer: Again there are several manufacturers out there, so it will come down to preference. These help out server ways. I will not go into what each does due t the numbers of them out there.
Tuner: Again there are a good number of manufacturers out there and it will be up to your preference. They reprogram your truck several ways.
Headers: Opens up the airflow for the engine increasing HP, Torque, and mpg.

Big things to remember when going for mpg is to first get the air in and out of the engine as fast and easily as possible. Most bolt ons will let you get that done.
For other mods it might take a mechanic to get them installed right. If you do not think you can do it take it to a mechanic. I could link a dozen or more sites but unless someone asks for them I wont waste the space.

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mega mouse could you elaborate on the TB spacer? I don't mean to thread jack however I've always heard advers things about them on our trucks

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The TB spacers on these trucks are only good for tapping into for nitrous, or if you want your truck to whistle.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok different TB spacers cause different effects. One is the whistle some make when you get into the throttle. But here where they can help out: they lengthen the distance between the throttle body and the valves by the thickness of the spacer. Each engine may react differently with a TB spacer so a mph gain is not guaranteed. You will see a slight HP and torque increase though on pretty much all TB spacers.
Ok now for some techy info: TB are all not created equal. Some will straighten out the airflow, while others create more turbulence. Not sure if anyone has actually tested each brand of TB spacer to see if there are any differences between them and actually that would be a nice post if anyone does.
The most popular are these:
Airaid - Throttle Body Spacers

Throttle Body Spacers | StreetPerformance.com

Taylor Cable Products - Helix Power Tower PLUS

Performance Accessories - JET Performance Products, Import & Domestic Performance, Performance Kits, Fuel Systems, Transmissions

aFePower.com

Different makes claim different gains. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. I have the poweraid one on the truck my daughter is getting for her birthday. I did notice an increase in torque plus the whistle. Never really did any other testing to see if it increased the hp or mpg though.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
On a fuel injected truck it makes no differance, on a carbed truck/car then yes it will add power and help the mix into the intake since the fuel and air are both mixed at the bottom of the carb and run through the intake runners. I will say yes I had one back when I got the truck new and was 16, waste of $100 besides for it making my intake whistle even more. The spacer was taken off years ago and I can tell from my truck making back to back runs with it and without it ran the same #. Mileage was also the same. We dont even advertise them on our site because your better off putting that $$ somewhere else.

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How's the whistle? Is it annoying? I don't want my gasser to sound like diesel up front and a gasser out back lol

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its not as loud as a blower/turbo. Kinda hard to describe besides just a whistel the TB makes as the air is passing the cuts. Flagler your better off putting that $$ into a CAI.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I searched the forum but nothing specific would come up so I decided to create a thread for this.

What parts have you put on your truck to increase MPG? If you dont mind; what was the cost? Was it well worth it? How much of an increase was it? Can you install the item yourself? was it an easy install?

figured since most of our trucks are gas guzzlers that this would be a great and helpful thread!

Absolutely none of them. The only inadvertent mod that would do this would be the SC 91 tune, and only if I keep my foot out of it.