Intake Manifold Ignition Coil Broken Bolt Help Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crwnsvn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Hello, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.8L, V8, 4x4, SLT, extended cab, Gas, with 120k miles. I started to replace the ignition coils and spark plugs, and 4 of the 8 bolts were so rusted they broke off when I tried to remove the nuts. These are the bolts that up through the intake manifold, and have a double nut. They serve to hold the intake manifold down and then allow the ignition coils to be bolted down with a nut. How can I replace the broken bolts? Can I just remove them from under neath the intake manifold, and replace with new ones? Are the bolts threaded into the block/intake manifold? I am hoping I do not have to remove the intake manifold to do this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It looks like they thread into the cylinder heads. Your best bet might be to remove the intake manifold and soak them overnight in penetrating oil. A member here recently posted that heating the stud up and letting parafin wax seep down into the threads a few times works really well. Hopefully there is enough stud left to get a vice grips or something else on them otherwise they might have to be drilled out.

OP
OP
C

crwnsvn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that, hoping it wasn't threaded into the manifold. Never tried the parafin wax trick, will have to give that a try.

Worselthx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Same issue

I'm having the same issue, went to change the spark plugs and the first two bolt broke off, I stopped there. What was your solution?