Intake XV manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Ok guys, I got too much time on my hands. Give me your thoughts about this setup. This would obviously work best on a stroker motor, but might provide some gains on a slightly worked motor as well. I especially like the manifold on a boost engine as the manifold is being pressurized and you could easily do a little maching and turn this into one hell of a nitrious rig with port injection.

My initial thought is to use a ported TB and bolt it to an adapter plate and mount it pointing up. This would be straight foreward and no doubt would work. A second thought is to modify a billet TB using the FBW assembly off of a old OEM TB. There is plenty of aftermarket 4 barrel TB's, but they are setup to run on GM's or cable. Hell, maybe use the TB off of a Viper if it is FBW. Anyway just having a couple cool ones and thinking out loud.

xvmanifold.jpg

xvtb.jpg

dsc00225ny.jpg

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Thats good food for thought. XV is know for redoing old mopars with completly new sys and drive trains so I bet a few hours talking with them they could come up with a package.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
They also have a manifold for the 6.1 head which I really would like to have with the resized chambers to pump the CR up to 10.25 on a stock 5.7 block. There are some very cool pieces out there to play with.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Doesnt that manifold net 0 gains because it bumps the powerband up to high in the rpm range to actually use the added flow? I'll have to go do some digging through old threads on a different site but there were dyno sheets showing that on the hemi trucks they actually lost power because of the powerband moving to high in the rpm range to get any use out of it. And with the stock heads I would think it be pretty much useless at any rate because it wouldn't matter how much flow was going to them as they can only handle so much with the stock port size. Let me see if I can find a link to the dyno sheets, may have to do it at lunch today.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Take a couple minutes and start reading

6.1 Intake - Topic Powered by Social Strata

From the sounds of it, the truck manifold is still the better of the bunch, the 6.1 manifold is better after the 6000rpm mark and the xv manifold is way up there in a range our trucks will never see.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Sharadon has turned a stroker to 7,300 on an engine dyno and had more to turn just ran out of cam. Thats a **** load of RPMs to turn on a street truck though. Race motors turn that off the line before hitting second but were talking apples and oranges.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Exactly, unless its strictly a track vehicle, and you are turning in the 7( area there is no point of doing this intake manifold since you wont see any gains under normal driving and may end up loosing power in the end.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tremendous tq loss in the "normal" operating rpm range.

Fat Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 505ci
Turn a stocker past 5500 and you are just ******* in to a strong wind.

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The XV intake is a great choice for boost. Especially considering the amount of water and methanol running through mine, and now nitrous too.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I've emailed Scott at XV and asked him to contribute to our thread. Hopefully he will provide us with some information on the manifold's performance value.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
what is there to tell. Simple fact is that it is useless in the lower "normal" operating rpm range, dyno sheets prove that. In order to get any use or added power you need to be spinning it way up there in the rpm range.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Ryan, brother you really know *********** a thread.... lol
We know trucks are built for torque, so it's not surprising to see the ram manifold as a digger. LX manifolds for lighter wieght and more mid range. I think the big draw for this manifold is that it's metal and it can be machined and and welded on. Just looking at it you can tell it'll flow big time and I am thinking the design is a bit more suited for a carburetor, but I still like it. Maybe it can have some work done on it to increase the runner speed a little. I'm planning on tuning my engine for the 6k-6400 rpm shift range so I'll want it to still be pulling strong pass 6k. Anyway I hate to discount anything out of hand just because it may not be the flavor of the day. Beside's anyone thinks a 345 ci engine is all played out at something under 6k has never owned a sm block chevy. We will see.....

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ryan, brother you really know *********** a thread.... lol
We know trucks are built for torque, so it's not surprising to see the ram manifold as a digger. LX manifolds for lighter wieght and more mid range. I think the big draw for this manifold is that it's metal and it can be machined and and welded on. Just looking at it you can tell it'll flow big time and I am thinking the design is a bit more suited for a carburetor, but I still like it. Maybe it can have some work done on it to increase the runner speed a little. I'm planning on tuning my engine for the 6k-6400 rpm shift range so I'll want it to still be pulling strong pass 6k. Anyway I hate to discount anything out of hand just because it may not be the flavor of the day. Beside's anyone thinks a 345 ci engine is all played out at something under 6k has never owned a sm block chevy. We will see.....

I actually had a line on a Mopar performance setup that someone pulled off of a Hemi crate engine to put it into a Ram truck. I was talked out of running it and instead bought the $$$ Mopar cable operated Hemi throttle body.

I may still switch to the Mopar performance single plane and some form of Ram air hood, I would love to have a functional shaker. My truck is not DBW, so the mopar performance 4bbl TB would work great. I think that it would work GREAT with a wet nitrous setup. Cooling the intake charge DRASTICALLY when the N20/Fuel mix was flowing.

I played with a high-rise edelbrock victor jr 2bbl in a wetflow GM TBI system and all I can say is the performance was PHENOMINAL. 358 RWHP and 350 RWTQ from a 9:1 350 with ported stock cast-iron heads and a tiny 214/226* @ .050 roller cam and then I squeezed the 150 shot. I never got good track times on the bottle because the 700r4 blew up before the 2nd bottle was used up. But it pulled a 5,500 lbs G20 van to 14.20s @ 99 mph NA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm with you on it looking good for a wet setup with nitrous port injection. There is a manual 4bl TB that flows 750 cfm that looks good. Like I said before, maybe use a DBW TB bolted on top pointing straight up or grafting a old OEM TPS/IAC to a bracket on the side of a manual 4bl TB. And of course perfect for any forced induction system. How about machining the top off of it to mount a intercooler and whippler?

whippleweb.gif

Great fun!

glram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't know if I should make new thread, its a couple questions about the same product. I was contemplating the same intake manifold on a truck, I currently run boost(6-7psi) and plan on upgrading the engine to low compression forged 5.7 based 370 stroker with upgraded big valve heads and running around 14-15psi procharger supercharger. a description of my truck is:
2004 ram 1500 quad cab 3 inch body lift 35/13.5/20 tires
all synthetic fluids
4.56 motive gears
Detroit tru trac limited slip differential
mag hytec 68rfe transmission pan
mag hytec diff cover
cowl hood
dynatech long tube headers and high flow catalytic converter
2.5 inch pipe exhaust with single in dual out magnaflow muffler
tci torque converter 2500 stall
85mm ported throttle body
throttle body spacer
procharger

My question is without being an engine constantly under high rpm still a daily driver, would I benefit from the xv induction intake while running higher boost stroker with upgraded heads?

Also if anyone knows any place other then xvmotorsports.com that has them in stock?