Interested in a ram, wanted performance & reliability questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limab93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6
Hey all, hopefully in the next month or so I'll be a Dodge Ram owner, but before I make a purchase is like the Ram crowd give me some info.

This will be my first dodge so I heard the typical gas engines aren't reliable, tranny problems, engine problems, Ac problems ect.

I'm going to be buying a Ram in cash 2006-2008 hopefully I'd really prefer the L6 cummins just because my dad is a 18 wheeler driver and he sees the guys who hot shots all the time and told me those cuminns are almost indestructible, and cummins speaks volume to me because I work offshore and that's all we use!

So now you know a little about myself I'd like to ask you guys because my price point is 12-17 in cash, can't seem to find very many 2500s with the cummins for that price point but all day long 1500s but they are well over 90,000 miles how reliable is the Gasoline 1500 engine? The hemi or the regular engine? Any suggestions? Look for while scoping a vehicle?
If the engine does crap out is there a more reliable upgrade instead of putting OEM back in? What mileage do I have to consider major engine wear and unreliability?

Transmission wise I hear there can be a tick to it'll slip on you all the time of like to get the 4X4 quad cab L6 if I can find the perfect truck in my budget, but if I get the 4x2 what are the common issues?

Second thing I'm wanting to put a full audio system in it and heard some trucks have "Uconnect?" Don't get that right? Or is that the newer 2010+ trucks only with that feature??

Thanks for any comments made! Hopefully I'll be in the dodge family soon!

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can find a cummins 2500 for your price range then you're one lucky SOB. However, if you cannot, get one with the 5.7 hemi...those are pretty tough engines as well.

What are you towing? Do you have to have a 2500, or would a 1500 fit your needs?

OP
OP
L

Limab93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6
Oh no man a 1500 would fit my needs easily I'm just worried about reliability high mileage on those engines! The reason I want the cummins is basically for the reliability and peace of mind!

I'm going to be hauling a enclosed motorcycle trailer, and one or two Yamaha race bikes to race tracks in the states. Occasional jet ski, that kind of stuff nothing fancy I just want reliability and I was always told anything other than the cummins isn't reliable and I'm asking the men and women them selfs who drive these beasts will I have something that'll break down every other week or will I have something with a little TLC last me and do the job?

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
My 2005 5.7 has 160k original miles on engine...just had trans rebuilt but I hear that average life of the 545rfe is about 150k miles. Try to find a 5.7 where the owner was meticulous about maintenance, looking back I would def pay the premium.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got 138,000 miles on my original engine and trans. Bought the truck with 120k and no maintenance records. I've had my torque converter and solenoid pack replaced but the trans is still going strong.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner towed constantly and beat the crap out of it, but it's still holding out

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I beat the crap out of mine but as long as you do timely fluid maintenance, motor is good for a long time ... I have 276k miles on my block and counting...I used the same block to stroke to a 392 back when it had 254k miles.... tranny is a different story, as long as you stay out of 2nd prime (mashing the pedal at highway speeds) frequently, it will last a long time... just keep an eye out for tranny temps...

Poncherello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Folks,

I been reading the post about the Rams reliability and what to ask a few questions. I have a '10 Lib may be trading it in. Its got 118K on the clock and just replaced the heater core and transmission cooler condenser.

I am looking for new Ram 1500 base model Quad Cab with a 6ft bed, 4X4 and a 5.7. I am so done V-6's. I am very meticulous with my vehicles on tune ups and fluid changes. In keeping up with service of ram with fluids anything else I should keep an eye on?

I see that the 645rfe is still available but also the 8spd is too. Which trans seems more reliable?

Thanks

LaJoie272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll put it this way. The original owner of my '08 Hemi took damn good care of her, and logged 160k (highway miles but still) on her while doing so. I am about to log 170k, I have tuned it and to put it straight, simply ran the hell out of it and if I haven't killed it than I don't see anyone else being able to do so. Keep your fluids/filters changed on time and I doubt you'll see an issue for 250k or more.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Best story I know of is a guy who has an 05 (HIGHLY modified, ran 12's) that clocked up like 250,000 miles before something in the engine broke. When he rebuilt it that was a good excuse to turn it into a 392...