Which K&N to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Hey I was wondering between which K&N intake to buy?

57 series or 77 series?

I see the 57 adds more horsepower but the 77 is more expensive?

I currently have a 2004 5.7 Hemi (magnum) 1500

I'm looking for a great deep sound along with power the price isn't a big deal and I can install it myself I'm looking for some opinions.

57-1533 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N

77-1533KP - K&N Intake Kits, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N

P.S. After I get the intake I'm looking to replace my exhaust, looking into a flowmaster, not there yet but your opinions are welcomed. :cheers:

Thanks,
Adam

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
The FIPK kit is what I am using (had to modify it a bit for my motor). But to tell the truth all high flow air intake kits will increase your HP slightly. It should come down to what will fit without any modifications at all, and which you like the looks of better. Go to K&N's main website to see the true results of each one before you buy any.

stokes.greg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm no help on the air filter but I can tell you a 40 series flow master sounds great on the hemi.

Sent via paper airplane

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Wanted to add this. The sound of the FIPK's kit is unique to say the least. Makes your truck sound as if it has supercharger under the hood. Add a throttle body spacer and it becomes even more pronounced. Now if you want a better sound from your truck do as Stokes said and get a good magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust installed.
Or if you have the cash available get both the air intake and the exhaust done.
Attempting to pull more air into your engine does not do much if you still have the restrictive stock exhaust system. Now headers are another story altogether. They can help out a lot, but good ones are not cheap and they are not real necessary at first. Later down the rad you can look at some. No matter what you decide do not remove the cats. A lot of muffler shops will not work on your truck if they are removed, and even a lot of repair shops also. No dealer will work on any vehicle that has the cats removed so they would be out also.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I have the 77 series on my truck that has been on it since 04, the 05 has the FIPK kit with the bigger filter. Both are decent kits, but are dated. For the same price you can get the newer S&B that is a great kit.

S&B Cold Air Intake 03-08 Ram 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Hemi - Cleanable Filter

If you want the cool factor with the best all around performance look at this

http://www.moes-performance.com/Vararam_Hemi_Under_Glass_Intake_03_08_Dodge_Ram_5_p/vr-hemi.htm

Exhaust wise I have ran a few just depends on how loud you want your truck. First setup was a Delta flow 40, then a jones single chamber, then a bullet, then back to a single chamber on the 04. The 05 has the whole Borla system. The borla is a clean note, all the exhaust on the 04 has been more in your face.

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Okay so then I guess my next question is which one of them be used to replace my oem filter? I think that would be my choice

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
I have the 77 series on my truck that has been on it since 04, the 05 has the FIPK kit with the bigger filter. Both are decent kits, but are dated. For the same price you can get the newer S&B that is a great kit.

S&B Cold Air Intake 03-08 Ram 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Hemi - Cleanable Filter

If you want the cool factor with the best all around performance look at this

Vararam Hemi Under Glass Intake 03-08 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi

Exhaust wise I have ran a few just depends on how loud you want your truck. First setup was a Delta flow 40, then a jones single chamber, then a bullet, then back to a single chamber on the 04. The 05 has the whole Borla system. The borla is a clean note, all the exhaust on the 04 has been more in your face.

Thanks I looked at those air filters they seem pretty nice I'm gonna look them over on youtube, on the web and check the specs along with a couple of mechanics that I know I don't want to change my mind after installing an intake, also exhaust wise, something loud would be great as long as it doesn't break the bank, total for the intake and exhaust I'm looking to spend around 1000$ on parts like I said I can do the labor myself with a few friends.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
total for the intake and exhaust I'm looking to spend around 1000$ on parts like I said I can do the labor myself with a few friends.

max 350 for intake
exhaust shouldn't be more than a couple hundred $$ unless your doing a full cat-back system.

stokes.greg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
40 series welded on around $180 here.

Sent via paper airplane

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Yeah I figured the max I would be spending was around 600-700 but I have 1000$ to use, but to get back on topic,

which would replace my OEM filter without having to mod my current setup along with the exhaust I'm interested in getting the flowmaster 40 anywhere special to buy one to get a good price?