K&N CAI Issues on 2006 1500 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATC1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey all

wondering if any other info is out there on this issue.

I found this thread below:
http://www.ramforum.com/f50/k_n_intake_causing_backfires-18425/

Installed a K&N 57 Series CAI. The black plastic one. Sounds great nice and throaty. and I seem to be getting better mileage already.

The issue.

while driving, accelerating, cruising every so often it does, almost like a cough. Sounds funny for a second. like a backfire of misfire then back to normal.

Reading some of the other threads and forums they say its the sound of the MDS kicking in going from 8 to 4 cylinders. Or that due to the resonator being removed it is the momentary closing and opening of the throttle body vavle due to the electronic motor for the TB.

Are these right and am I just being paranoid?

Is there anyway to stop it from happening?

Thanks all and if this horse is already dead and I am just digging it up to beat it..... my bad

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get a like a **** sound or a light back fire sound and its the mds kicking in. But mine makes a droning or a diesel like sound after the backfire or ****

OP
OP
A

ATC1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
yeah thats some what like what im hearing. I thought the intake or shroud was loose at first. made sure it was all tight and still hearing it.

Just want to be sure it want cause any issues.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI if you didn't know;

With the Diablo Sport Tuner you can turn the MDS off.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
With the SuperChips Cortex Tuner you can also turn the MDS off. I have a K&N CAI on my 07' Ram, and I have never heard or experienced the issue you raise. It has been on my truck for a year now.