K&N and now problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I just installed a K&N intake system on my 2006. All went well and she fired right up. I back it out of the garage and was letting it idle while I was cleaning up. When I went to take the truck for a ride it was dead, every warning light was on and the truck would not turn over, NOTHING. It turned out to be the PCM fuse. I replaced that and all was good with thing the world, so I thought. I checked the codes, and there were no codes stored. Test ride when well and the intake made the truck sound like a beast. After I was home for a while I decided to go back out and let it idle and see if it would act up again. After about 20 mins the "Check Gauges" Light came on. I shut the truck off and started it back up and it was out, but it shortly came back on. All the gauges were reading normal, the idle tack seemed to be jumping around a tad while the idle did not seem to change. Truck was running fine and was i went for a ride and it was running great but the light was still on. I am baffled by this one, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Can't say for certain but sounds electrical to me, if your RPM was bouncing but the engine noise was the same.
Could be a bad ground issue and that's why the truck just stalled out.
The computer cannot compensate for all the new airflow and died out.
The battery is shot and just ironically happened after you did a CAI.

Could be more things but that is all I can think of for now.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you have the battery disconnected? Check the terminals aren't gummed up and you have good connections

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Sorry it took me so long to post what was the cause of the problem. The morning after I had this problem arise and plow truck backed out in front of me on my way to work. He hit me, knocked me across the street into a first gen jeep liberty, I bounced off the jeep and back into the plow truck. the accident did over $9,000 worth of damage to my truck. Over a month later I got my truck back.

What was causing my problem with the check gauges light and the blown fuse was my alternator. There was a problem internal that was causing a varied voltage output. Not enough to cause the gauge to act as if there was a problem, but the sensors in the truck picked it up. One new alternator and there is no more lights on. It was just a coincidence that it just showed up when I put the intake on.