Knocking coming from underneath valve cover 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scorpio0071983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I"m getting this knock coming from the drivers side valve cover and I believe it may be a lifter knock. I've recently replaced the heads on the engine and I can't seem to get this noise to go away. I'm wondering what kind of long term damage this is going to cause and if there's anything I can do to fix it. Thanks alot for any help!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Did you do new lifters in the motor while the heads were off? Its not pushrod noise? All of them are seated driver side? How did the rockers look on the new heads? New pushrods or old ones? Knock or tick sound?

OP
OP
S

scorpio0071983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I did not replace the lifters. I checked the pushrods and some of them seem a bit loose. It's definitely a knocking sound. I'm pretty sure it's the sound of the rocker arm hitting the inside of the valve cover.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If it is that then there will be markings on the bottom side of the valve cover. There is a decent amount of room under there esp with a stock cam. When the rocker shafts were tightened down were then done in order and at the correct trq spec? Also are the rockers on the correct way?