Knocking noise coming from Valve Cover on 4.7 L Magnum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
As I start my truck, I hear a knocking noise similar to the noise as a door knocker hitting metal. It was running hot the other day due to a busted radiator. I'm wondering if it running hot had something to do with lifters or rocker arms under the valve cover or maybe it could be something else? Not sure. I haven't let the truck get warm to see if the knocking went away, but if it knocks cold then it could be a potential problem. Help please.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Pull the valve cover and do an inspection too see if something is loose. It might be all there is too it. Now if things look very discolored and there is a part or 2 broken then you may have more than just cylinder head parts done in.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't ran it at all with the tick. I just let it sit. Then started it up one day and heard the lifter tick coming from the valve cover. So I don't think it could be too bad.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, where can I get the TRQ Specs for my model RAM?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye