Leaking ram hood fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
while I was doing research about my blown Hemi I discovered that the 2002 to 2006 Rams and Durangos have an issue with water from rainfall or washing it leaking through the hood gaps where it lines up with the Fender causing the intake manifold gasket to swell with water and the water to be eventually sucked up in the manifold and cause hydrolock. Apparently there was a fix for it but I only saw it on the Durango forum for the rango. Does anyone know how to fix this on a 2002 to 2006 RAM 1500? I think it is valuable information for every Ram owner that doesn't live in Arizona.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
Ram's don't have an intake manifold gasket (at least the way we think a gasket is)...it's like rubber spacers that go over each intake port..

OP
OP
B

boolinhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Even so I'm sure water leaking into the enigne bay wouldn't be anything good. Anyone have any remedies for a leaky hood?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never heard of this. Where the hood meets the fender is a long way from your intake manifold. There is no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I have an srt10 hood and always wondered about rain coming into the scoop. I've been checking to see if those guys cover it up during winter..

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you mean water coming in from the top versus all the water that gets splashed/sprayed up from the bottom, thrown around by the fan, etc.

Not sure how you think what little water could (maybe) leak in from the side of the hood would make it all the way to your intake manifold. More likely would be water entering from the back of the hood which would have shown in initial R&D. They run these things in deluges that WAY exceeds what you would likely drive through or encounter while washing.

i would say not to worry in the slightest about it.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
funny, I get on an srt10 forum an search for anyone who blocks off their hood during rainy season... and basically, in a nutshell they're sayin, shut up, quit whining and grow a pair... :)

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run a similar hood to the SRT. It has a ram air scoop. If opens the hood after driving in the rain and there wasn't any water on the filter.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see how it would be anywhere close to possible for enough rain to get through hood gaps to make it to your intake manifold gasket and leak through it so fast that it will hydrolock your motor.

Sounds like some crazy theory someone thought up and threw online one day