Lightning bolt flashing, won't rev high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This morning I started my truck and noticed a flashing red lightning bolt. I turned the truck off and on a couple times but it didn't go away. I left the house and the truck seemed to be running ok, but when I got on the highway it started giving me problems at higher RPMs, especially when I would take my foot off the gas for a second and put it back on. It was kind of cutting out. So I turned around and came back home. After I got back home I left it in park and tried revving it. I noticed it wouldn't climb past 3,000 RPM. It seemed to idle and run normally under that. I turned it off and on again, and the lightning bolt went away. Not sure what to do. I only drive the truck about once or twice a week to take my dirt bike out. It's got about 130K miles on the motor.

Anyone experience this before??

Edit: I did the key trick and got error code P 2127.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This in my experience is a bad throttle body sensor. This can be just from dirt and grime or a bad wire. Ive been im more than one situation where a can of MAF sensor cleaner was able to fix this issue. Not saying this is your problem, but this ive seen more than once and every time it was directly related to throttle body.

OP
OP
bighor

bighor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The problem seemed to go away. I drove the truck around just now, revved it good, and no problems. However I do expect the problem to return. The red bolt actually still appears when the ignition is on, but it's solid (not flashing), and once I turn the truck on it now goes away.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The problem seemed to go away. I drove the truck around just now, revved it good, and no problems. However I do expect the problem to return. The red bolt actually still appears when the ignition is on, but it's solid (not flashing), and once I turn the truck on it now goes away.

The lightening bolt will stay on for about 10 sec when the key is in the ON position then go off. When you start the truck it will come on for about 2 sec then go off unless there's an issue. The light coming on and going back off tells me that the TPS is going bad, you can disconnect it and clean the pigail and connection and put dielectric grease in there and plug it back in. Check your harness to make sure neither of the wires are broken.

OP
OP
bighor

bighor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
According to my service manual, the error code P2127: "ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT LOW"

straight from the manual:
---------------
Possible Causes:
- 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
- 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
- APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
- APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
- APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE APP SENSOR NO.1 RETURN CIRCUIT
- APP SENSOR NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE APP SENSOR NO.2 RETURN CIRCUIT
- APP SENSOR
- PCM (Power-train Control Module)
----------------

Does this rule out a bad throttle body sensor? If I remember correctly, the previous owner said he had already changed the TBS or some other related sensor as it was causing the truck to randomly shut off.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This can still be a sensor issue. Also could be harness, or something going on inside the PCM. You have likely a bad connection at the sensor. The sensor is an easy fix, if a rat got into the wiring somewhere it makes for a little more fun but not to bad.

Last edited: