Loud fan noise when first driven everyday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am experiencing something weird i just got the truck so trying to fix all the bugs in it.

everyday when i first start the car or has been cooled down as soon as I start driving the fan is super loud and feels like the performance is not there. but as soon as i drive for a few min the loud fan noise goes away and the beast wakes up. i have a 2005 ram 1500 hemi 5.7

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Your fan is hydraulically clutched. When cold the oil viscosity in the clutch is very high and the fan turns hard putting load on the engine.
Once it warms it quiets down.

Only real fix is to change to an electric thermostat operated fan--pretty sure there are several threads on how to do it.
But, you're still under warranty so I would not recommend doing so until your powertrain warranty expires.

OP
OP
Rampitt

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your fan is hydraulically clutched. When cold the oil viscosity in the clutch is very high and the fan turns hard putting load on the engine.
Once it warms it quiets down.

Only real fix is to change to an electric thermostat operated fan--pretty sure there are several threads on how to do it.
But, you're still under warranty so I would not recommend doing so until your powertrain warranty expires.

how does that powertrain warranty work? I actually just got a paper in the mail yesterday about my warranty is about to expire if i wanted to renew it.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
if you ever catch the mod bug, the 05's are arguably the best year to performance mod :)

OP
OP
Rampitt

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you ever catch the mod bug, the 05's are arguably the best year to performance mod :)

why is that? i just bought a airaid intake, planning on a few mods in the future.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
why is that? i just bought a airaid intake, planning on a few mods in the future.

out all the years, the 05's pcm seems to be the best to accept manipulation with it's coding in terms of custom tuning. Buy/find a Diablo predator or intune and whenever you are ready, contact the tuners that have experience with our trucks like Hemifever and Greene racing..

OP
OP
Rampitt

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of just getting the Superchips programmer or was looking into the stage 2 jet connector.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was thinking of just getting the Superchips programmer or was looking into the stage 2 jet connector.

Superchips, eventually the PCM will learn around the Jet. Also you'll be able to tune the trans. If you go custom tune then you'll need a Diablo.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is this man's 2005 Ram still covered by ANY warranty whatsoever? What in the world am I missing?

OP
OP
Rampitt

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is this man's 2005 Ram still covered by ANY warranty whatsoever? What in the world am I missing?
That's what I was wondering lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably read "2015" instead of "2005". My '06 does the same thing, but it seems, and call me crazy, that it's better after I tuned it with my superchips flashpaq.

Arkdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 05 has a warranty (you can buy extended warranties through various places)

Cwmgr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello My 05 Ram 1500 5.7 is doing this exact thing now. I just replace fan clutch and notice it immediately . I had original still on at 115k. Do you think the new one is bad or just because not factory OEM? Not sure but it's very irritating and I need to fix asap. Let me know if anyone has any solutions or thoughts.

Sounds like jet engine when taking off especially early when sitting for long period of time

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello My 05 Ram 1500 5.7 is doing this exact thing now. I just replace fan clutch and notice it immediately . I had original still on at 115k. Do you think the new one is bad or just because not factory OEM? Not sure but it's very irritating and I need to fix asap. Let me know if anyone has any solutions or thoughts.

Sounds like jet engine when taking off especially early when sitting for long period of time

You probably have the wrong fan clutch on there. I had the dame issue, lived with it for a while and then went and looked it up. I think I had gotten the heavy duty one originally and it wasn't correct and made the truck seem like it was going to take off every time I drove it. Replaced it with the non-hd version and it's been fine since.

Cwmgr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot I believe that's the case . Can it harm anything or no just annoying sound ? I'm gonna go change it . Will let know if goes away .