Made my catch can tonight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I was at work late doin an oil change and after seeing the oil residue on the airbox where the crankcase breather connects to it, I did some investigation. At 170k miles it uses bout a qt every 4k miles. And its sucking it right thru the air intake and out the tail pipe. Figure I'd make a tank set up similar to that on my race bike. Not using vacuum to suck the press out but just freely venting to the tank. Should reduce consumption some. Runs smooth and well...it was fun and simple hour of work. May paint it black yet.uploadfromtaptalk1388115788029.jpg

OP
OP
NITROUSCHRIS

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And installed. Petcock on the bottom. Hydraulic tank breather on top.uploadfromtaptalk1388115957526.jpg

OP
OP
NITROUSCHRIS

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Didn't even need to reroute any hoses! And its comes off with the airbox lid if I need to do that for any reason.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Good job. I have been thinking of putting one on my 07 too. But I didn't think you could because of the way the PCV was on these 3rd gens. I may do this now that I have seen someone actually do it. Thanks.

OP
OP
NITROUSCHRIS

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just made another one for a 2013 hemi, today!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Fyi, that's not on your pcv line, that's on the make up air line. Your pcv is still dumping oil vapor into your intake manifold. If your make up air line is puking oil into the intake then your pcv is plugged and not maintaining vacuum on the crankcase. Also, 1qt of oil would lead me to believe you are losing a lot more through the rings if you don't have any leaks. May be time to think about a rebuild if you can, or just keep adding oil which is the cheaper solution.

HL, there is a way to put a proper catch can on the 3rd gen, it's just more involved.

OP
OP
NITROUSCHRIS

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, I never said it was in the pcv system. But simply, the filler neck IS vented to the air box(unrestricted). The airbox is under slight vacuum (its not a pressurized "ram air" system) and DOES pull a small amount of crankcase pressure out thru the TB depending on throttle input or load. There was visable residue passing thru the hose at the air box and thru the air filter. This SIMPLE tank alleviates that extra consumption while still maintaining a FREE AIR vent. This is almost exactly the same set up bikes have been switching to for years. PCV is new and she still runs like a top at 20mpg. Motors are all I do.