Mileage question on ram hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c00l0g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hello, I am in the market for a 06-08 Ram 1500. I was gonna buy it as a work truck for hauling not very big loads but enough so I don't need a 2500. The 5.7 Hemi seems like the best choice but if I am putting wear and tear on it and probably running it to 200k miles or over how well will it hold up? I was looking at some now with 130k-150k miles. Just seeing if anybody can give some input on how the Hemi holds up at high mileage. Thanks!

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
The big issue is how the truck was treated; maintenance and use.

I bought my truck new. It led a harder life than most here, as the first eight years it was kept continually hitched to ~9K trailer/machine and driven on crap roads and off-road. I've got 300K on it (5.7/2500 4X4) and although it's not the truck it was when new, it's still a very dependable vehicle and more than capable of work. I've retired it, but I'm interested in how far I can go.

IIRC, there was a pic in the Miles On Your Truck thread of a 500K pickup (also a 5.7). Granted, it looked like it'd never left pavement, all highway miles and probably driven by a middle-aged man who had it serviced at dealers per the manual.

If you find one you like, have a trusted mechanic do an inspection, including stuff like compression checks. They don't make 'em like they used to-they're better.

Chj1016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all about how it was maintained by past owners. I've got a 02 with the 5.9 in it with 245k runs and pulls great, then had a 07 with the hemi had right at 95k on it had a misfire from cylinder 5-7 that never went away. It's just about how it was taken care of. Service records are key