missing problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silentscrila

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
i have a 2003 4.7 ram and about three weeks ago on the way to work my truck started making a loud taping noise and sure enough on my way home after work the tapping noise got super loud and i lost power. come to find out the timing guide broke and the driver side timing chain came off the cam. when i got it home i took everything down and found every single timing guide broken and a big hole on the top of my oil pump. a few days later i changed all the guides, the chains, oil pump and the cam sprockets and idle gear. i thoroughly went through everything after i replaced everything to make sure all the timing marks lined up. i turned the crank several times to see if i could hear anything because i heard that the 4.7s are easy to bend a valve. i heard nothing. after i put everything back together, put oil and water in it i started it and it was missing real bad but no tapping noise or anything. i got two codes, one for the fuel injector sensor and the intake which i fixed both but after i did that it still is missing real bad but im not getting any codes. is it possible i could have still bent a valve and cant hear anything?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
99% sure you bent a valve. It is an interference motor and if the cam stopped and the crank kept going you surely have bent valves. You would not "hear" a bent valve, the head of the valve is bent and it still goes almost in its closed position so the hydraulic lash adjuster would keep it from clacking.

Your only recourse is compression check. If you are lucky you will only have to remove one head but I would suggest doing them both since you will be in that far.

Sorry for the bad news