Molar coil pack or offbrand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm going to replace my coils and I'm wondering are the mopar coils worth the money? $30+ for 1 seems high to me. Especially when a set of 8 off brand can be had for $60. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I replaced my hemi coils last year. I made my purchase from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You can get just as good as mopar on ebay mopar doesn't make their parts they have someone else manufacture it for them and put their name on it.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my hemi coils last year. I made my purchase from Amazon.

That's where I found a set of 8 coils for $60. Just wasn't sure if the Mopar brand was worth the money. Seems crazy the price differences.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am of the mindset that unless I know superior components are installed in something. I am not paying for a name

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You can get just as good as mopar on ebay mopar doesn't make their parts they have someone else manufacture it for them and put their name on it.

I think the company FCA used for the early third gens was Delphi, for numerous parts including the coil packs, not 100 percent sure but I think I read it somewhere.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey along the same lines as this list, I was thinking about upgrading the coils on my truck as well. I was lookin on summit for some, and it seems that most manufacturers are putting out about 42k volts. I’m wondering what the stock ones put out, if anyone knows. I’m planning on doing coils and wires and headers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey along the same lines as this list, I was thinking about upgrading the coils on my truck as well. I was lookin on summit for some, and it seems that most manufacturers are putting out about 42k volts. I’m wondering what the stock ones put out, if anyone knows. I’m planning on doing coils and wires and headers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good Question.

I was looking at upgrading as well if I'm going to spend the money. Unfortunately I have the 4.7 and it looks like they only make performance coils for the Hemi.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Question.

I was looking at upgrading as well if I'm going to spend the money. Unfortunately I have the 4.7 and it looks like they only make performance coils for the Hemi.

That’s gotta be a bummer.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would stay away from aftermarket/non oem coils. The brand name I bought escapes me.They made the engine run much smoother, but during my last spark plug change, I spent more time resealing and replacing the boots than changing plugs. I also had one coil boot not seal properly and cause a minor seap. eBay is the way to go for cheap oem replacements.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a FYI that may or may not apply here... But a number of Jeep guys decided they needed new coils for their builds, and went non OEM. Can't recall what everyone was buying, might've been MSD. Anyways, not a one of them saw any improvement at all, and some actually had problems. My Jeep has the same coils it shipped with, even with the 800+ hp build, and the new build with double that power will still be using the same coils. However I'll finally have to go with different plugs on the new build.

wink

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Just a FYI that may or may not apply here... But a number of Jeep guys decided they needed new coils for their builds, and went non OEM. Can't recall what everyone was buying, might've been MSD. Anyways, not a one of them saw any improvement at all, and some actually had problems. My Jeep has the same coils it shipped with, even with the 800+ hp build, and the new build with double that power will still be using the same coils. However I'll finally have to go with different plugs on the new build.

wink

800hp in a rockcrawler?? Dayum!