Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

more cam talk

This is a discussion on more cam talk within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Ive read quite a few places on the net that there are a decent amount of cams out there that ...

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Anthony

Ram Year: 2012 hemi express
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default more cam talk
Ive read quite a few places on the net that there are a decent amount of cams out there that put more hp and torque then the 6.1l cam and still do not requre tuning of any kind. (truck learns the cam i guess?) Does any one here know what cams are availible that do not require tuning, and will put more power to the wheels then the 6.1. Thanks in advance BTW Teach, and Bullet. Ive recruited 4 of my buddies from my station that said they would stick it out for a weekend and help me with the install. and if i do it at work ill have all the tools

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Persona Non Grata

like I said in the pm i would go with my original route. the 6.1 regrind. you can make it a torquey cam so it will help out your low end.
Silverbullet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Jason

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 5.7
Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
Ive read quite a few places on the net that there are a decent amount of cams out there that put more hp and torque then the 6.1l cam and still do not requre tuning of any kind. (truck learns the cam i guess?) Does any one here know what cams are availible that do not require tuning, and will put more power to the wheels then the 6.1. Thanks in advance BTW Teach, and Bullet. Ive recruited 4 of my buddies from my station that said they would stick it out for a weekend and help me with the install. and if i do it at work ill have all the tools
Comp 260 and crazy spartan both come to mind as more powerful cams that don't require much more than a common canned tune. You can get them pretty cheap, like 200 - 250 max when you find used ones on the classifieds.
Off_Road_Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: KENNETH

Ram Year: 2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine: 5.7 / 5.7
I had a 6.1 regrind into a Spartan that was an upper end cam, my current is a low end mid with a tight lsa. The regrind was great because it required no tuning at all to work good, but I got the custom tune for a few more hp and trq. What kinda money are you looking to spend and what are you looking for in the end?

Got Lope? WANNA GO FAST?
Hit us up at Moe's Performance for all your needs
http://www.moes-performance.com/
KGBIGCOUNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

money wise, no more than 200-250. "kid due in march" what i want tho, my truck is an every day driver for me and my wife. reliability can not be sacrificed. I never tow more than 3k, 14 ft jon boat, or a few deer in the bed. I Love hearing my hemi wind out merging on the highway, or screamin through a tunnel. My low end is just fine (she chirps when floored) id rather not like to loose any but id like it to pull a little harder around 4-4500. Like stated, i do not have a tuner, so it needs to be "learnable" for the truck. and will 6.1 springs be good enough for any cam, or are there better ones out there?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: John

Ram Year: 2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Send a message via AIM to OlDirtyJohn
Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
money wise, no more than 200-250. "kid due in march" what i want tho, my truck is an every day driver for me and my wife. reliability can not be sacrificed. I never tow more than 3k, 14 ft jon boat, or a few deer in the bed. I Love hearing my hemi wind out merging on the highway, or screamin through a tunnel. My low end is just fine (she chirps when floored) id rather not like to loose any but id like it to pull a little harder around 4-4500. Like stated, i do not have a tuner, so it needs to be "learnable" for the truck. and will 6.1 springs be good enough for any cam, or are there better ones out there?
from all that i have read, 6.1 springs seem to be the best bet for most any cam.

1996 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear. 4x4 3.0l v6, bull bars front and rear, side steps, full skid plates.
OlDirtyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

6.1 springs will handle just about any cam. Now when you say no tuning do you mean not even a canned tune?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Aaron

Ram Year: 2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Send a message via AIM to AF_Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to AF_Hemi
no cam will run without a tuner i dont think. maybe the 6.1. you'll need at least a superchips or dsp to run with the cam. As for your choices, a regrind would be your best bet. problem is, most of them cost about $200 for the regrind alone, let alone getting the core.

suggestions anyone?
AF_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I think you are right about the 6.1 running on a stock tune.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

so seeing as how the slight improvement 6.1, still maybe needs to be tunned. do you guys thing i should hold off on the cam and get me a tuner first? and are the canned tunes already in the tuners? how does that work?