More mods = less torque???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossdahaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my first post and about the finance's dad's truck. I just installed a K&N intake, cleaned the throttle body, TMT, and did the diy 'power wire' mod. Before doing any of this, the truck could easily spin the tires from a dead stop (03 hemi 1500 2wd) and now it won't even try to spin them. Is it because the intake moved the power north or should I start to look into things???

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Did you reset the computer also? The power wire is just sopp to fool the AIT to dump more fuel to richen up the A/F mix. On the TB did you make sure the orange O-ring gasket was seated in the intake housing still correctly?

OP
OP
M

Mossdahaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I reset the battey during the whole process. The orange oring never moved and there is no check engine lights.

OP
OP
M

Mossdahaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It feels like it's stronger through the midrange and definitely at the top end but softer on the bottom. I have never had a vehicle respond like the hemi did from just a intake change

Last edited:

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
try resetting the pedal...turn key to on position (don't start it), slowly depress the pedal all the way to floor, hold there and count slowly to 10, then slowly release the pedal, turn the key to off position, pedal reset...

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
also, to test, I would pull the 'power wire' an compare, it maybe dumpin too much fuel... i would try a 180 tstat first...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I have never had a CAI bump the rpm range, I have had a cutout and open headers do that, but never just a CAI. I agree, pull the powerwire, do a reset and see how it drives.

On the powerwire though, did you use the right resistor for the wire?

If you took the throttle body off the truck for cleaning, there is a chance that the small gasket in back that goes between the TB and the intake manifold was pinched or slightly out of place. I would pull that as well just to confirm that it is indeed still seated back there. I had this issue with a vac leak a while ago and swore up and down that it didnt move, turned out it didnt seat right, so its always a good idea just to rule it out.

For the CAI, all the tubes are installed correctly, no gaps in the hoses, no split plastic anywhere? All the sensors are reinstalled in the right locations AND in the right rotation (meaning the IAT sensor isnt turned flat with the air flow its turned perpendicular so the air can travel through the bulb?

The TMT mod, I am assuming that is the torque managment wire? And you are possitive you pulled the right wire?

Not trying to doubt anything that you did, however to figure out why some of these things are going on, you need back track everything you did and just check them one at a time to rule them out.

First two things I would start with, remove the powerwire and if that doesnt work, then reinstall the TM wire.

OP
OP
M

Mossdahaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the cai is installed correctly with no cracks or tears in the silicone. I ended up using a 4.7k 1/4watt resistor. I will pull the power wire and see what happens. Yes the Tmt mod is the tmr mod, sorry stupid phone. I took out pin 10, the one closest to the bolt on the tcm. I did a soft reset of the pcm by pulling fuse 19 and that seemed to help but not enough.

I will reset the throttle body and pull the power wire to see if that helps. If not, I will double check the throttle body & its gasket. Thanks for all of the help!